Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hand drawn icons and 8 bit memories.

Hand drawn icons and 8 bit memories.
Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 03:48 AM

Anyone remember those old 8 bit icons? I loved those old hand-drawn icons, you needed actual artistic talent, which I don't have. Some of my favorite icons were by Hide (itoha?). I downloaded like 50 of his sets. I was wondering where all of these authors have gone though? I would love to see a remake of copland for X, hand drawn. With the copland style, rathere than the new photo realistic style. Anyone else want to see new icons? Here's hoping,

[email protected]

Patrick
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 04:19 PM

People still draw these kinds of icons, but I guess the whole thing isn't as popular as it was a while ago. The guy you mentioned, Hide Itoh, still draws them and archives all his sets at his website. And I use things like Icon Tools for custom folder icons (though I sometimes just make them myself). I'm still using 8.6, though - does OS X still have the custom icon ability? I hope so.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 06:58 PM

Yah, I miss the days when you actually had to be innovative to produce quality digital art. Now-a-days, anyone who can hack two images together in Photoshop is considered a whiz.

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Patrick:
<STRONG>People still draw these kinds of icons, but I guess the whole thing isn't as popular as it was a while ago. The guy you mentioned, Hide Itoh, still draws them and archives all his sets at his website. And I use things like Icon Tools for custom folder icons (though I sometimes just make them myself). I'm still using 8.6, though - does OS X still have the custom icon ability? I hope so.</STRONG>
Yes it does. Thanks for the links. I mean these are great:

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 28, 2001, 09:03 PM

i've always been partial to MOZCO icons.
i use them for quite a few of my HD icons. with modifications, of course:

i put things in circles for consistency's sake. but now i'm pondering something new.

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Demonhood ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules