Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can you tell me what this is...

Can you tell me what this is...
ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 05:03 PM

...and possibly who makes it? I pulled it from a B&W G3 that was getting junked.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 10, 2004, 05:33 PM

Looks like a 4-port Network Interface Card with activity LEDs. It's hard to tell anything more from the picture quality.

Our Peripherals or Networking members might recognize it.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2004, 05:57 PM

Networking forum ahoy!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Networking forum ahoy!
are these things recognized in OS X? will my G5 be able to act as a router?

reader50
Administrator
Sep 11, 2004, 12:04 AM

Plug it in and boot up. See what Apple System Profiler has to say about it. ASP may even give you more information about the card, such as the manufacturer.

If the G5 will not boot with that card installed, then you have your answer. Anything else is negotiable.

John Strung
Senior User
Sep 11, 2004, 10:53 AM

That's what it looks like to me to, although I have never heard of such a beast. If it has any numbers or other identification try searching for those on Google.

John Strung
Senior User
Sep 11, 2004, 10:56 AM

Googling for "Mac four port ethernet pci card" turned up this:

http://www.small-tree.com/mp_cards.htm

among others.

It might also be a four port modem. Can you tell if the ports are RJ11 or RJ45? (I.e., do they have 4 or 8 connectors inside?)

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 02:11 PM

For a little while the Apple "server" version (just the regular desktop with this card and the ASP software) had these cards. This allowed you to plug in multiple groups of computers and have the automatic routing and netboot software divide up the task.

The thinking was that computers labs would be divided, say by rows, so when you booted them up you would have some separation of the traffic, so you would still have reasonable boot times. In addition the cards have a lot more of the network handling hardware built into them, so they could free up more of the processor's time. With the way processing power has gone, this is not worth the cost anymore (in most cases). Gigabit ethernet to switches also killed a lot of the market for these cards.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 13, 2004, 12:33 AM

Some digging in the Apple Support pages turned up a few clues. It's a Multiport Ethernet Card supported by Apple on OSX Server, but not on OS9 or earlier. This suggests it was made by Apple.

I could not find a direct product page, but I found several pages that refer to the card or offer support regarding it.

Multiport Ethernet Card has only OSX drivers

OSX Server: Delays on startup with 4-port Ethernet Card

OSX Server: Using Remote Admin with Multiport Ethernet Card

OSX Server: Ethernet setup worksheet for 5 ethernet ports

OSX Server: Release 1.2 Notes
This last one identifies it as a D-Link product.

Poking around on the D-Link support site brings up these two cards. It's either one of them or a close relative: (click the pics to reach the product pages)

DFE-570TX

DFE-580TX

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
Plug it in and boot up. See what Apple System Profiler has to say about it. ASP may even give you more information about the card, such as the manufacturer.

If the G5 will not boot with that card installed, then you have your answer. Anything else is negotiable.
do i have to worry about the voltage though? i thought that PCI cards had to be 3.3 v or something.
Specifications
Network Type:
� Fast Ethernet 100Base-TX IEEE 802.3u standard for 100Mbps baseband CSMA/CD local area network
� Ethernet 10BASE-T IEEE 802.3 standard for 10Mbps baseband CSMA/CD local area network Auto-negotiation functionality
Media interface:
four RJ-45 ports
Host interface: 5-volt PCI 2.1 Bus (Bus Master)
Physical Dimensions: 19 cm x 10 cm
Weight: 128g for PCBA EMI
Compatibility: FCC Class B VCCI Class B CE Class B C-Tick Class B BSMI Class B
Environment:
Storage Temperature: −25� to 55�C, (−4� to 176� F)
Storage Humidity: 5% to 90% RH non-condensing
Operating Temperature: 0� to 50� C, (32� to 131� F)

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by John Strung:
That's what it looks like to me to, although I have never heard of such a beast. If it has any numbers or other identification try searching for those on Google.
there really are no identifying marks except for the serial number.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
Some digging in the Apple Support pages turned up a few clues. It's a Multiport Ethernet Card supported by Apple on OSX Server, but not on OS9 or earlier. This suggests it was made by Apple.

I could not find a direct product page, but I found several pages that refer to the card or offer support regarding it.

Multiport Ethernet Card has only OSX drivers

OSX Server: Delays on startup with 4-port Ethernet Card

OSX Server: Using Remote Admin with Multiport Ethernet Card

OSX Server: Ethernet setup worksheet for 5 ethernet ports

OSX Server: Release 1.2 Notes
This last one identifies it as a D-Link product.

Poking around on the D-Link support site brings up these two cards. It's either one of them or a close relative: (click the pics to reach the product pages)

DFE-570TX

DFE-580TX
thanks to everybody who helped identify this thing. i may try to put it in my G5 and see how OS X identifies it. either way i just wanted to say thanks and i will report all of my findings.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 02:02 PM

i put this in a B&W G3 and it is now acting as a router. I turned on internet sharing and connected my PowerBook to it and it pulled a 192.168.2.XX IP address. kinda cool.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 28, 2004, 08:58 PM

It's the 4-port Ethernet card Apple shipped with one of the top configurations of the Power Mac G3 Server with Mac OS X. As larkost said, the multiport card was intended, for example, to be used for NetBoot, where one 100BaseT link would be saturated too quickly.

PCI cards and slots are keyed, so if the card can physically be inserted, then it should work. A 5V card will physically not fit into a 3.3V-only slot like those in the G5.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules