Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 2.4 17" MPB OS X re-install query.

New 2.4 17" MPB OS X re-install query.
voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2007, 03:25 AM

Hi there,
My new 2.4 17" MPB with Hi-res screen has arrived with OS X 10.4.9 already installed. Would it be a good idea for 'piece of mind' to do an erase and install of 'Tiger?' I have already set up mail etc and I was about to use Migration Assistant to get Applications and Files from my old PB when the thought occured to me. I know that some of you guys will have your own ideas about this and I would I appreciate your thoughts.
Thank you,
voicebox

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2007, 04:37 AM

IMHO I don't think it is necessary at all. If you do the re-install, you are going to get the same OS as if you installed off the DVD. I suppose if you have some very specific customized OS install you might.

Remember, this isn't like some PCs where the OS is so loaded up with adware/spyware crap by the vendor that it is unusable. You paid a premium for your Mac, and one of the pluses is that you can just buy it and go.

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
IMHO I don't think it is necessary at all. If you do the re-install, you are going to get the same OS as if you installed off the DVD. I suppose if you have some very specific customized OS install you might.

Remember, this isn't like some PCs where the OS is so loaded up with adware/spyware crap by the vendor that it is unusable. You paid a premium for your Mac, and one of the pluses is that you can just buy it and go.
Thanks MarkLT1 for the info, of course you are right in what you say.
The only reason I asked was because in the past, with my other Macs, I have loaded the OS (Jaguar, Panther then the Tiger upgrade) myself - I guess I'm not used to someone else doing it for me!!
Thanks again
best
voicebox

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 09:18 AM

The first thing I usually do is pop in install disc and reformat/install OSX again. For one thing, the default install throws on things I really don't want, such as the iWork demo, or iLife, all of the printer drivers etc. I cut down the install footprint quite a bit and I get the computer just the way I want it.

gudrummer
Jun 26, 2007, 03:09 PM

Same for me,buy,format,reinstall.I end up saving around 10 gigs of HD space.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 03:17 PM

While MarkLT1 is right in that using it as-is won't hurt, I agree with MacosNerd about the reformat/install on a new laptop. Mostly because I don't need any language tanslations on my computer other than U.S. Enlgish. If I run into a situation where I might need to run the OS in a different language, well, then I'll install it.

I actually let the printer drivers install because I never know when I might connect to a printer with my laptop (like at a computer store, friend's house, etc.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
While MarkLT1 is right in that using it as-is won't hurt, I agree with MacosNerd about the reformat/install on a new laptop. Mostly because I don't need any language tanslations on my computer other than U.S. Enlgish. If I run into a situation where I might need to run the OS in a different language, well, then I'll install it.

I actually let the printer drivers install because I never know when I might connect to a printer with my laptop (like at a computer store, friend's house, etc.)
Hi olePigeon,
After 'migrating' all files/folders/apps but not users across from my old 15" PB, I finally decided against reformat/install. I just uninstalled the apps I didn't need - for instance, those apps I would not have installed during a custom install in the first place. As for the 'spare' languages, I used a great little app called 'Delocalizer' from Bombich Software: DeLocalizer and cleaned out all unwanted languages - it gave me back over 2680Mb of space on the hard drive!!
I too have kept all printer drivers exactly for the same reasons - you never know when you might need 'em.

The 1900x1200 screen needs some getting used to though, the brightness level for instance I have now set to less than half way - otherwise my eyes ache! But the 'fly in the ointment' is the smaller font size, although I do find that if I use the 'Decrease/Increase font size' buttons in Safari then that fixes the problem. Same applies to Mail and other apps - just manually increase font size a couple of points; I know it's a pain but I'd rather do that than run the screen at a lower res which would negate the reason I bought an MBP with a 17" High-res screen in the first place!
Unlike other people not too far away in this forum, I will not be returning mine to the store!
best
voicebox

Forum Links
Forum Rules