Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Open File dialog box freezes Safari

Open File dialog box freezes Safari
macd00d420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 05:27 PM

Ever since Safari 3.0, I have had an issue with Safari's Open File dialog box freezing the entire application. When I'm filling out a web form and I need to select a file from my local disk (input type="file"), I will automatically start typing the filename to have the dialog box go straight to the file. As soon as I begin typing, the dialog box will select every file except for directories and then stop responding . Safari does not seem to be frozen, per se, but I cannot seem to find a way to close the unresponsive Open Dialog and I must forcequit Safari.

This is extremely frustrated for a number of reasons. To begin with, it is in my muscle memory to simply begin typing the filename to select it in an open dialog. Safari is by far the best browser but it is this small bug that keeps me from using the browser at all.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with Safari? Any ideas?

P.S. Typing into any other Open File dialog box in OS X does _not_ exhibit this behavior. It seems to _only_ affect Safari.

macd00d420  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2008, 11:29 PM

Turns out it was a silly InputManager that was causing this bug. I'm not sure which one was causing it, but removing them all seemed to do the trick.

Dear Apple,

Please implement a real Plug-in system for Safari.

Thanks,

macd00d420

Forum Links
Forum Rules