Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Huge

Huge
mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 03:26 PM

I just got my MacBook Pro yesterday. I have had basically 1 of all of the previous models of the PowerBooks 12", 15" and 17". I have noticed that the this thing is huge. It resembles more the 17" powerbook than the 15". Is it just me? Is this thing really large? Oh by the way, I'm not complaining it is an awesome machine!
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2006, 04:52 PM

They made it thinner and wider.

mgehman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
They made it thinner and wider.
Yeah, I just didn't expect this form factor. My last powerbook was a 12" and this was quite the shock when I opened the box.
My wife looked at it as said, " So your back to the huge computer again." She thought it was one of the 17" ones.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge

drewgolden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 07:01 PM

Yes, it has a certain hugeness about it.

It's the widescreen form factor, but closed on my desk it does cause me to think it's the 17".

I have dropped a 12' Dell and formerly had a 12" iBook - so anything would seem larger to me.

But this thing is, well. Huge!

But it's huge goodness.

drew
---------------------------------------------------------
On the road: MB Pro 2.0 CoreDuo120gb HD 2gb RAM
Home: PowerMac QuickSilver 1.6ghz G4 120gb HD 1.25gb RAM
Wife's@home: 17" Flatscreen iMac 800mhz G4 80gb HD 640mb RAM
Wife'sOther:MacBook 1.83ghz Dual Core 1gb Ram 100gb HD
Kid's: 17" eMac 1ghz 80gb HD 1gb RAM

mgehman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by drewgolden
But it's huge goodness.

drew
Agreed
- Ernst Jan Plugge

powerbook911
Feb 26, 2006, 04:16 AM

This is why I really hope they end up making a 13-inch Pro notebook, but I guess that might be unlikely.

The 15-inch is beautiful, but I just want something smaller, for travel. I think I'm very small minority though. Most find 15 & 17 both fine for carrying around.
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by powerbook911
This is why I really hope they end up making a 13-inch Pro notebook, but I guess that might be unlikely.

The 15-inch is beautiful, but I just want something smaller, for travel. I think I'm very small minority though.
No, you're not.

I know a lot of people who are holding out, including myself.

dndog
Feb 26, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by powerbook911
I think thats very likely - there will be pros that need a small travel notebook. For me (and many others), the 15" is ideal because it is like a desktop replacement, and has a screen large enough to run Final Cut Pro and Apeture perfectly (for me at least).

Many speculation threads about the MacBook Pro 13" say it will be roughly $1400-$1500, with a 1.67 core duo, and the MacBook will be less with most likely a centrino-m (which is still yonah, so its a step up).
(sold)12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 512mb Ram [my first osx mac, way too slow]
(sold)15" 1.67ghz 1gig Ram Powerbook [I need more power a.k.a. Macbook]
15" 1.83ghz 1gig Ram MacBook Pro

cambro
Senior User
Feb 26, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
You, alas, have better will power than I
Placed my order yesterday.

I know what you guys mean though. I'm using a Ghz Ti and whenever I first see a 15" Al it always looks much bigger somehow. The dimensions aren't THAT different, really, but there's just something about it...maybe the large space on either side of the keyboard? Which is why the MBP looks even bigger??

In the end, the size issue is really a screen real-estate issue and I've generally found the 15" form factor to be a nice compromise.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 12:27 PM

Geez, I don't know how you guys can do it on anything smaller than a 15". My Ti is hooked up to a 20.1" LCD and there doesn't seem to be enough screen real estate space between the two to be optimal. Although my dual Samsung 19" LCDs from 2002 seem about right on the tower. The 15" works, but it's hard to imagine this "pro" everyone talks about who image edits under a tree would have enough screen real estate. I usually have at least one of the CS2 apps open on my machine, but I also find myself with lots of windows from Eudora, to Office, to Safari/Firefox taking up space too.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
No, you're not.

And me.

w/r/t the seeming hugeness, if it's both thinner and wider, then the surface area to thickness ratio got bigger in two ways, perhaps making the proportions more like the 17" than the 15" PB, even if the volume is closer to the latter's.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 01:14 PM

i live & die by my 12" alubook (revC); music production, some graphics, everything.
i love carrying it around (as opposed to my former pb, a pismo).

i'm waiting for that 13" book (or whatever replaces the 12")...
(waiting anyway, for Reason to go universal).

apple HAS to give us something smaller. lighter...
summer perhaps?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 02:00 PM

I have always used the 12" PB. But also have also hated how it was 'crippled' compared to the others in terms of performance... I wish size were the only difference between the models.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by MikeD
I have always used the 12" PB. But also have also hated how it was 'crippled' compared to the others in terms of performance... I wish size were the only difference between the models.

really, seems reasonable.
a small notebook for those of us who want...a small notebook, and power.

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules