Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to change registration info?

How to change registration info?
vita_kk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 10:44 AM

I got my new 15" PB two days ago, I'M LOVING IT!
However, being a PC years for so many years, I must admit that I'm a complete dummy on Mac.

1. When I turned on my computer for the first time, it asked me for registration. Maybe I was too excited on my new PB, I made a typo while registering.
Now I can see my typo all the time, when turning on the computer... in the computer name...etc etc. This is quite annoying for me and I really want to change it.

2. I installed IE and MSN Messenger on my PB. Then I place both shortcuts on my 'quick launch' menu. Weird things is....after I logged out, I found that the MSN Messenger is completely gone! Shortcuts no longer in the 'quick launch', I performed a command search and can't find anything related to 'msn'. However, the IE is still there.

So I tried to narrow it down from a Windows approch, I thought it might be a user profile things like WinXP. But quickly I ruled out this reason, because I have only one single user set up on my PB, so it couldn't be a profile thing, right?

Being a Mac dummy, I can't think of any solutions for the above issues. Anyone can provide me some insight? Thanks a lot.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by vita_kk:
I got my new 15" PB two days ago, I'M LOVING IT!
However, being a PC years for so many years, I must admit that I'm a complete dummy on Mac.

1. When I turned on my computer for the first time, it asked me for registration. Maybe I was too excited on my new PB, I made a typo while registering.
Now I can see my typo all the time, when turning on the computer... in the computer name...etc etc. This is quite annoying for me and I really want to change it.
To set the computer name:
Apple Menu->System Preferences->Sharing->Computer Name

To set your name differently (if you need to):
Apple Menu->System Preferences->Accounts->your account

2. I installed IE and MSN Messenger on my PB. Then I place both shortcuts on my 'quick launch' menu. Weird things is....after I logged out, I found that the MSN Messenger is completely gone! Shortcuts no longer in the 'quick launch', I performed a command search and can't find anything related to 'msn'. However, the IE is still there.

So I tried to narrow it down from a Windows approch, I thought it might be a user profile things like WinXP. But quickly I ruled out this reason, because I have only one single user set up on my PB, so it couldn't be a profile thing, right?
By the "Quick Launch Menu", do you mean the dock? Just remember, on the Mac, applications go in "Applications". Look there for the MSN software if it is installed. I don't know what the MSN installs, so I can't be more specific than that. I don't think it's a user profile issue unless you specified a weird location when installing MSN (it should default to Applications).
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules