Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Burned Out Pixel

Burned Out Pixel
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 10, 2005, 07:42 PM

I've had my iBook for maybe a month now and last night I noticed it has a burned out pixel. I wanna return it and get a new one, but I live in Canada and I ordered it through 1-800-MY-APPLE, so we don't have any Apple Stores. I suppose I could call and see what they say, but I'd rather not send my iBook back, then wait weeks to get a new one. Do you think they'd send me free stuff for having to go through the hassle?? Is it worth sending it back over one burned out pixel??

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 07:50 PM

As far as I know AppleCare requires you to have more than one defective pixel (usually 5-10, depending on distribution and failure mode) before they'll "fix" it. And at a month you're outside the usual 14 day return period.

A dead pixel (black) in the corner of the screen? No big deal.
A bright red/blue/green pixel (stuck) in the middle of the screen? Worth calling Apple up.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2005, 10:40 PM

Well it's hard to see. When I set the background to the dark grey solid color, and you look at the screen from the side, you can see it glow as a more "white" light. It's only the one pixel on the whole screen, so I dunno. It's almost right in the middle and to the left a bit.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2005, 09:31 AM

Can you put a piece of tape over it? ;-(

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 11, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by cmeisenzahl
Can you put a piece of tape over it? ;-(

haha i'd see the tape more. i can't see it at all when im using the ibook. i was using it and my friend who was sitting beside me noticed it since he was looking at the screen from a wide angle. he's got a good eye apparently... anyways, i still don't know if i should send it back over one pixel.. i would if it meant i got a discount on the black nano i will order soon, or if i got a free case.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 07:44 PM

anyone..?

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2005, 10:10 PM

why do you want to go through this if you can't actually see the problem???

sminch

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2005, 09:35 AM

One or two "poor performer pixels" are not a problem at all. Particularly if you have trouble seeing the ONE you're complaining about most of the time. You will NOT be able to return your computer for ONE bad pixel.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2005, 12:49 PM

Try GENTLY rubbing the stuck pixel with a soft cloth... It worked for me in the past when I had a couple of hinky pixels on my G3 iBook.

one sick puppy
Oct 20, 2005, 08:29 PM

I have a stuck pixel on my iBook. It bothered me at first that I had one, but then I realized that I very rarely notice it.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 31, 2005, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by one sick puppy
I have a stuck pixel on my iBook. It bothered me at first that I had one, but then I realized that I very rarely notice it.
Now that I know it's there I see it quite often. I will try and "rub it out" as suggested. Hopefully it works.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 31, 2005, 02:56 PM

Is there places that can repair screens if you have a fux0r'd pixel?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2005, 03:41 PM

one my *books had a pixel that just stopped working. i tried rubbing it, but it didn't work. jokingly i tapped it (gently with the tip of my finger/nail) and it went away.

about a month later it came back, i tapped it, and it went away and never came back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules