Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama's aunt not a citizen. Donation to be refunded. Barack had no idea.

Obama's aunt not a citizen. Donation to be refunded. Barack had no idea.
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 08:40 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/...unt/index.html

My purpose is not to highlight the immigration status of this fine woman, or the $265 that were illegally donated, because that is just peanuts.
The senator in question "didn't know" about these things: really important wrongs about the people who are close to him. And it is not the first time.
How many times shall a candidate be given a pass when he puts up the ignorance defense.
Do public officials even have to apply for security clearance before accepting a job?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 08:43 PM

This is really stupid.

I'm surprised that his campaign staff didn't check these kind of things before he started running for POTUS.

-t

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2008, 08:46 PM

No security clearance need be applied for. The election itself gives the candidate the job.

The sad fact is that we've had a few presidents who could not have qualified for a security clearance. FDR was one.

Mr. Obama probably couldn't receive a clearance based on his affiliation with Rashid Khalidi (PLO) and Hatem Elhady, former chairman of the Hamas-linked Islamic charity Kindhearts, which was closed by the US government in 2006 for terrorist fundraising.

One thing that could work in his favor if he were a candidate for clearance would be being open and honest about such things.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
This is really stupid.

I'm surprised that his campaign staff didn't check these kind of things before he started running for POTUS.

-t
A Commander In Chief who wouldn't pass the lowest level security clearance. The most ridiculous part is that it is legal.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 09:09 PM

^^If Rashid Khalidi makes one non-eligible, someone should tell that to John McCain as well, when he was chairman of the IRI.
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...alidi-g-1.html

But I guess for some folks just being in the same room as a Palestinian is grounds to deny a "security clearance."

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2008, 09:13 PM

Taking money from ones that agitate and support terrorism should be a consideration, and that goes equally for any candidate.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2008, 10:10 PM

Please.

Half-sister of candidate's father should have left 4 years ago
It is not clear when Onyango arrived in the United States.

She told the London Times that she travels back and forth between the United States and Kenya.

"I have been coming to America ever since 1975. I always come and go," the Times quoted her as saying.
So Obama didn't know the immigration status of the half-sister of his father. Why should he? From the article, she comes and goes and travels between the U.S. and Kenya and has been since 1975. Why should Obama have any reason to question whether she is here legally?

You guys are really grasping now for something, anything to try and turn the tide in the last few days before the election. By the way, this is not a criminal matter, it's an administrative violation.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Please.

So Obama didn't know the immigration status of the half-sister of his father. Why should he? From the article, she comes and goes and travels between the U.S. and Kenya and has been since 1975. Why should Obama have any reason to question whether she is here legally?

You guys are really grasping now for something, anything to try and turn the tide in the last few days before the election. By the way, this is not a criminal matter, it's an administrative violation.
unless she was working as a nanny
45/47

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
No security clearance need be applied for. The election itself gives the candidate the job.

The sad fact is that we've had a few presidents who could not have qualified for a security clearance. FDR was one.

Mr. Obama probably couldn't receive a clearance based on his affiliation with Rashid Khalidi (PLO) and Hatem Elhady, former chairman of the Hamas-linked Islamic charity Kindhearts, which was closed by the US government in 2006 for terrorist fundraising.

One thing that could work in his favor if he were a candidate for clearance would be being open and honest about such things.
I have family with security clearances. I don't think either FDR or Barrack would be ineligible for security clearances.

You need to have really, really bad friends not to qualify for security clearances. We have very suspect people in certain parts of our family and it hasn't been a problem.
( Last edited by goMac; Nov 1, 2008 at 11:51 PM. )
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2008, 11:42 PM

I heard that Obama went to school with someone who cheated on a test! Do you really want someone like that running your country???

Rumor
Nov 1, 2008, 11:58 PM

This is an issue how?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2008, 12:18 AM

Could Obama pass the background check for people who work with the president (Yankee White)?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2008, 12:21 AM

It is actually known by pollsters that about 10% of the populace are "Aunt-Oriented Voters" or AOVs, who assess a candidate based on his or her aunts' achievements. This little known fact was exploited by Karl Rove, who repeatedly but subtly made references to Bush's aunt throughout the 2004 campaign.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2008, 12:57 AM

Ttiwwp

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2008, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Could Obama pass the background check for people who work with the president (Yankee White)?
Considering the people the current President works with... most likely.

The security checks don't work like "You knew somebody bad! You don't get clearance!" That's not to say they don't check your associates, they do. But the real reason they check your associates is to ask them about you, not find out things about them.

(Every time my dad needs his clearance renewed, they send men in black to a bunch of people without telling anyone. Scares everyone, they thinks he's under terrorist investigation or something...)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules