Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Set my Pismo on Fire. Please help.

Set my Pismo on Fire. Please help.
lincolnmkv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 04:26 PM

The case of the LCD screen of my Pismo somehow encountered a badly placed candle. The candle melted the plastic and I was able to see the glowing LCD screen through the back of the computer. Fascinating, and it still functioned otherwise. I sensed impending doom, however, and took a few important files and put them on my iPod. However, when I turned off the computer, and tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't start up. The screen remained dark, and judging from the sound of the harddrive, it sounded like it had gotten to a point where it couldn't find the startup disk. When I put a CD in the drive, it spun up, but then spun down.

I replaced the LCD and case today, but the problem persists. I did NOT replace the display inverter. Could the inverter somehow have become damaged by the screen possibly shorting out? And could this damage be preventing the computer from starting up? I notice now that the green power indicator does not function, and i think that is located on the inverter board. However, is this causing the computer to go into loop and not start up?

Sorry for the length, but I am pulling my hair out about this. I also posted on the Macrumors.com forum, but I haven't gotten any responses yet.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 06:30 PM

Man i thought this was going to be some sort of wacky insurance thing...

oh well, anyway sounds like its not the display it could be the inverter board or the logic board, more likely the logic board, it was probably unrealated to the candle incident. as it died later.

lincolnmkv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 08:44 PM

While my knowledge of fixing computers is limited by my lack of experience, I think it would be highly improbable that the logic board would suddenly fry independently within 15 minutes of the screen burning up.

In other words, I have the gut feeling that the computer not starting up is related to the screen catching on fire.

Then, is there some way that burning the screen could have killed the logic board or the inverter board, by shorting out or something?

And is there something in the architecture that doesn't allow startup until the computer finds a screen to start up on?

Thanks again,
Steve

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 09:22 PM

However unlikely it could be separate. It should still startup without a screen
The heat could have melted a connection on the board, Do you Know if the heat might have reached the board, how long was it there before you noticed, it seems like it may be coincidence or since it was working fine on it may have killed something only used at startup.

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 09:37 PM

Well, it is a laptop so naturally it's all interconnected. Pismos are getting old (tho I still use mine and love mine). You might try washing it with distilled water (very carefully, of course) and perhaps a google search on how best to do this.

Good luck.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

lincolnmkv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the replies trying to help me get to the bottom of this.

Maybe I should point out that only a section in the top 4 inches of the screen on the right side was burned, and as it is plastic, it was more of a melt than a flare up. I was using the computer while this ridiculous incident happened, and I didn't feel any intense heat... Anyway, the point is that the fire never got closer than 10" or so from the bottom case, so I don't think anything in there would have experienced the burning sensation that the LCD screen did.

I ordered an inverter board (5 bucks on ebay). We'll see if that fixes it. If it's the logic board, that would suck. I certainly hope this gets fixed soon; I'm stuck using a Dell right now.

Thanks,
Steve

lincolnmkv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 08:18 PM

Just replaced the inverter board... Still no go. Hard Drive spins but green power light never comes on, and system never boots up.

Are there any techniques I could try to resurrect this thing from the dead? I tried zapping the pram and resetting the power button on the back, but to no avail.

vinster
Senior User
Dec 9, 2004, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by lincolnmkv:
Just replaced the inverter board... Still no go. Hard Drive spins but green power light never comes on, and system never boots up.

Are there any techniques I could try to resurrect this thing from the dead? I tried zapping the pram and resetting the power button on the back, but to no avail.
The only thing I can think of to try is to check all internal connections, especially the CPU daughtercard. Press firmly but gently on the connector until you hear it click into place, as sometimes it seems like it's connected but really isn't

Forum Links
Forum Rules