Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > g4 933mhz ibook freezing

g4 933mhz ibook freezing
jinubob81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 03:34 AM

tried to do a search on this topic, but the search kept giving me an error message...

anyways, here is what going on:

on my g4 ibook (933mhz), lately has been freezing up. And when i say freeze up, it is (seemingly) a two part process:

1. the applications and menus, everything is unresponsive though i can hear the hardrive and whatnot working, and the mouse works (though nothing i click on does anything), and if i have music playing, it'll stop.... then play for about a second, then stop.... then play... stop... play... you get the idea.

2. after that, i get frustrated and start pressing buttons and try to get it going again (though it hasnt up to date... i know, you'd think i'd figure it out by now), and eventually, it'll make a hardrive click noise (though nothing atypical) and nothing will do anything. mouse wont move, music stops playing, nada. Just a complete freeze. Sometimes, i think i can hear some hardware going, but not sure.

I am typically running the following (on panther 10.3.3):

itunes, bit torrent, safari, mail, some finder window, fire or ichat, or whatnot, and sometimes a media player like real or quicktime.

anyone have any idea?

machine specs: ibook g4, 933mhz, 256ram.

edit: oh, and yes, i've repaired permissions, the "open apple, option, r, p" reset thing while booting, and... i even ran virus check a couple times.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2004, 09:01 AM

Could be two things:

1-An app sucking up the cpu time

2-Low ram, virtual is crunching like mad

For #1, I'd run 'activity monitor' to see who's taking up all the cpu time.

And for #2, I'd run 'top' in a terminal window and look at the line saying 'pageouts' and see if the number to the left of it is high. With 256MB ram, that may be your problem. I've had some virtual ram crunching happen from time to time with all those apps running even on my 640MB ram setup. Especially is Safari has multiple tabs open and double-expecially if there's some java app running.

Forum Links
Forum Rules