Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Best video codec for output to slow pc's?

Best video codec for output to slow pc's?
intastella
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2004, 02:13 AM

Hi. I'm doing a project for a friend/business that was shot on DV and needs to be displayed on an old slow PC (400mhz). What would be the best way to display video on a computer like that? I have looked at 3ivx which seems to be pretty fast but I don't think even that will do. Since I know Quicktime on the PC isn't as fast as on the Mac, I'm looking at Real player and Windows media too.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
( Last edited by intastella; Jan 24, 2004 at 03:11 AM. )

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 02:11 PM

I vote WMV. Get yourself a copy of Cleaner and use it to make your windows media file. It gives a few choices of compression and, at the higher settings at least, the quality stays pretty good. Plus it's drag & drop simple.

I've used it to convert several movies that have been played on older PCs with WMP version 7 and they played quite well.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2004, 05:11 PM

what's wrong with good old MPEG?

Forum Links
Forum Rules