Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why does OS X pageout if there's 1.5GB RAM free?

Why does OS X pageout if there's 1.5GB RAM free?
mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2005, 06:03 PM

I don't get this. Right at this moment I have 57,000 pageins and 306,000 pageouts with a 1GB+ total swap space after a fresh restart this morning. MenuMeters says that there's 516MB RAM being used and 1.5GB RAM free.

For example, switching applications takes years and using Exposè is really jerky while I'm rendering in After Effects.

Why does the system prefer to use the slower and disk intensive VM instead of the free physical memory I have available?

(I'm using Panther 10.3.9 btw)

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2005, 09:46 PM

I know you are smarter than this. The pageout count is since boot. Data that has been swapped to the vm file isn't going to be paged back in until it's needed. Just because you quit the program that was taking up the extra 1.5GB of RAM doesn't mean that your swap file is going to magically go away. To make a case, you will need to do the following:

vm_stat 1

watch the first and last columns. If the first column is huge and you are still getting pageouts in the last column, then you can complain.

But it's not going to happen.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules