Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS - PowerPC 8500/120 with G3 333 Upgrade

FS - PowerPC 8500/120 with G3 333 Upgrade
manofsteel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 05:09 PM

I have decided that its time to sell my very first mac that helped me graduate. I no longer wish to haul it around and although it still works flawlessly, which is incredible considering how old it is and how much it has been used, its time to wave a teary eyed goodbye.

Last year i installed a 18 GB SCSI drive in it.. so its not too bad if you want a computer to play around on, plus the G3 speeds its up to a respectable pace, i just installed a fresh copy of OS 9.04 and have the installation disk.

i have included the small convertor so from the apple monitor connection to a VGA, i just hooked it up to my Dell 24" LCD and it works fine.

It is however missing the front bezel below the CD-ROM, it used to have a Magneto Optical Drive in it, but i replaced it with the 18GB SCSI drive. You can pick up a bezel online for less then $2 if you really want to plug the hole. It doesn't affect anything besides aesthetics.

Other upgrades I have installed are 2 PCI USB cards for a total of 4 USB slots, i also bumped the ram up long ago to 288MB and 1MB of Level 2 Cache.

With the Control Panel for the Powerlogix upgrade you can play with the Speed and cache of the processor to optimize the speed.

I will include the original Keyboard and mouse HOWEVER my father in his infinite wisdom while i was overseas wrote on the underside of both items in black permanent marker "apple mouse" and "apple keyboard" and put them into my climate controlled storage... it doesn't' affect them and you can't see the writing unless you turn hem over as you can see in the photo... no idea why he wrote on them.. but anyway.. lol

I'm asking for $65 and you pay the shipping, I will make sure its packed well and insure it... make me an offer if you think the price is unfair and i will consider it.

Just so you don't have to search around here are the specs for my machine:
  • 8500/120 introduced 1995.08.08 at $4,000
  • System 9.04 installed
  • CPU: Powerlogix G3 333 upgrade
  • ROM: 4 MB
  • RAM: 288 MB, expandable to 512 MB using DIMMs (8 sockets)
  • VRAM: 4 MB
  • L2 cache: 1 MB
  • SCSI: internal fast SCSI bus (to 10 MBps), external SCSI bus (to 5 Mbps)
  • 18GB internal SCSI Drive
  • CD-ROM: 4x
  • 4 USB Slots
  • mic: standard 3.5mm minijack, compatible with line-level input including Apple's PlainTalk microphone
  • ADB port for keyboard and mouse (included)
  • DIN-8 GeoPorts on back of computer
  • DB-25 SCSI connector on back of computer
  • AAUI and 10Base-T ethernet connectors on back of computer
  • power: 225W
  • height: 14.0 in
  • width: 7.7 in
  • depth: 15.75 in
  • weight: 27.0 lb
  • PRAM battery: 3.6V lithium

you can click on images for larger versions...

If you have any questions please let me know, i have included a few photos and would be happy to take more if you wish.

Thanks!

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 05:47 AM

awesome mac.....
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 09:08 AM

FYI......shipping a 30lb box from the UK to the US is gonna be way expensive ($70-130), at least as compared to what it would cost within the US.

I doubt anyone, other than a mac collector, would wanna pay that much for an 8500, but you never know good luck!
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

manofsteel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2006, 11:47 PM

he he i forgot to change my location back to the US.. lol i was living in the UK for the last few years... Anyway it would be from Denver CO!

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 07:31 AM

whew!!! big difference
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

manofsteel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 06:40 PM

I just posted this on Ebay, so I will ask the mods to erase this! Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules