Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Know any cheap and easy file recovery solutions?

Know any cheap and easy file recovery solutions?
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2006, 04:21 PM

I was backing up some files manually to CD and did a dumb thing, the result being I deleted the file "StickiesDatabase" and replaced it w/a new version (thus losing my data). I had a ton of notes on those stickies that I'd really like to recover. Did a search for file recovery, etc, and the upshot seems to be that I'd need a data recovery app to get it back. I'm on a 1.33 GHz iBookG4. Do these not come w/any "unerase" utilities or anything? I have Norton Utilities (w/Unerase) but haven't installed it because I seem to recall being told this software didn't work well in OS 10.4. Any suggestions on how to get the file back would be welcome - but the data lost probably isn't worth a lot of time and $$, so I guess I'm looking for the implausible: a cheap and easy file recovery solution.

rjt1000
Senior User
Jun 28, 2006, 01:41 PM

(deleted-see below)
( Last edited by rjt1000; Jun 28, 2006 at 09:28 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 28, 2006, 02:18 PM

DO NOT use Norton Utilities!!!!!!!

It is known to be incompatible. You risk ruining any chance of recovery as well as endangering your other data.

What you want is to try Prosoft's Data Rescue II. The free demo version will do a full recovery scan, but will only let you recover a single file without buying the full version. But if it's just one file, you should be set.

tooki

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2006, 03:42 PM

Thanks. I will give the Data Rescue II demo a whirl - and keep ol' Norton in retirement.

redredrose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 03:44 AM

Hi, every one. I want to recomend u a good files recovery software-- Data Recovery Wizard . I have used it two times. Now I am so trusting it. Hope it can help u when u are in trouble.
( Last edited by redredrose; Jul 24, 2006 at 10:52 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules