Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Command line "minint"??

Command line "minint"??
OMGWTFBBQ
Dec 10, 2003, 01:48 PM

If I fire up my terminal.app, I get the following:
Code:
Last login: Wed Dec 10 13:26:57 on ttyp3 Welcome to Darwin! minint-sq3jpi minint-j7ecr7:~ userName$
I changed my username in there to "userName" - that part isn't important.

What I'm curious about is the "minint-XXXXXX" part(s).

It started when I turned on Windows sharing in the System Preferences. I am a Windows network admin and I plug my laptop into the network at work - I don't care about accessing any Windows drives, or any Windows machines access my laptop - I just wanted to be able to do a "new view" on the Windows network and to be able to see my laptop in there.
Someone suggested that I turn on the Windows sharing and fill out the DHCP info and all of that.

Nowhere have I typed anything that says "minint" in any of those fields.

When I do a "net view" on the Windows network, it doesn't turn up any of the names I assigned on the Mac, and it doesn't turn up the "minint" name.

If from a Windows machine I did a "nslookup ..." with the IP address of the laptop - it used to fail and not be able to resolve anything.
Until yesterday.
Yesterday the "minint" stuff started showing up on my command line.
With that, I still couldn't see my computer name in a "net view" of the network, but I could see my the minint name in an nslookup of the laptop IP address.
This is useful in tracking down who is using what bandwidth on the firewall - it gives me IP addresses and nslookup allows me to get a machine name out of that.

What has changed was that the night before (not last night, but the one before) yesterday, I installed the security update that was out there (I was putting off having to restart).

Now, it looks like it generates a new minint line each day and then appends that and a newline to my command line.

I think that MININT is a constant in at least one programming language. The string that follows minint isn't hex, so I'm not entirely sure where that is coming from.
This sort of thing is sometimes a side effect of a buffer overrun.

I'm curious as to where and why this is happening and what I can do to fix it.
I assume that I could turn off the Windows sharing and perhaps that might make the side effect go away - but it neither helps me since I want to be able to trace my computer on our network, and it doesn't resolve the problem at hand.

thanks

Wevah
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 04:51 PM

Does 'hostname' give you anything similar?
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

OMGWTFBBQ  (op)
Dec 10, 2003, 07:56 PM

Weird - I'm at home now. While there are Windows computers here, it is just a home network and I don't really monitor it.

As a result, I don't care if I share on it or not.

I get my DHCP license from a DLink wireless unit instead of from a Win2K server.

I had been opening the terminal on and off a few times while here and hadn't been paying attention to the command line at all.

Just now I opened one up so that I could type hostname and see what that gave me - I didn't look at the console until I had already typed it out and hit return... but this is what I saw once I focused:
Code:
Last login: Wed Dec 10 19:08:16 on ttyp3 Welcome to Darwin! banana:~ userName$ hostname banana.local banana:~ userName$
I had set it in the System Preferences to be "banana" - so that is right there.

So now I need to test it again at work tomorrow to see if that is then the case of what causes it.

Maelman
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 09:00 PM

That just seems to be your DHCP client ID.

Forum Links
Forum Rules