Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Replacing eMac's internal hard drive

Replacing eMac's internal hard drive
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 09:37 PM

Anyone ever done this? I ran a search, and all i could come up with was a similar query, and this guide, however it is not specific to replacing the hard drive, and the hard drive link on the page is broken.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 10:27 PM

http://www.wilko.com/emac/ It works for me. You can also use
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html
Would be a good time to upgrade the optical drive and overclock while you're in there.
Be very careful and make sure you discharge the monitor!

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
http://www.wilko.com/emac/ It works for me. You can also use
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html
Would be a good time to upgrade the optical drive and overclock while you're in there.
Be very careful and make sure you discharge the monitor!
I'm not really interested in replacing the optical drive. If I'd want to, I'd most likely buy an external and have the possibility of using it on my upcoming iBook or another Mac. The processor overclock sounds interesting. But, I have a 1 Ghz eMac and I don't really have experience in soldiering and I am wary of this type of experimentation on my main machine.

I've read a lot of (sometimes contradictory) things on discharging the CRT. How did you do this? Some recommend just leaving the eMac unplugged for as little as 12 hours, some for weeks! And some advocate the use of a grounded discharging device.

Any other useful tips?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 08:18 PM

'nother question...

Will I have any size limit problems with a 160 GB Ultra ATA/100 drive?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 04:32 AM

Okay. I've got the hard drives (two of these), however, I've run into a little problem... I decided to test one of the hard drives with an external enclosure, borrowed from an old Maxtor FireWire drive. However, it would only recognize 127.87 GB. System Profiler syas this about the Maxtor enclosure:

Firmware Revision: 10532909
Unit Software Version: 10483

I then tried it in the LaCie Hard Drive enclosure, and Disk Utility does apparently recognize the drive's full capacity, yet hangs when I try to format it. The LaCie enclosure is newer, but neither enclosures are new (In fact, LaCie discontinued this particular model of external hard drive) System Profiler says this about the LaCie enclosure:

Firmware Revision: V34O
Unit Software Version: 10483

Since it hangs when I try to reformat, I had to disconnect the drive. Now it does not even show up in Disk Utility.

Is this a case of the enclosures not supporting this size, or is the eMac to blame?

Would getting a new enclosure solve this?-- If so, what should I look for?

- And -

Will this be a problem when I try to install the other drive directly to the eMac's ATA bus?

Of course, these questions depend on each other.

Does anybody have any idea/experience with this type of thing?
( Last edited by Gamoe; May 4, 2005 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Added more info.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules