Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook,ibook se or imac?

ibook,ibook se or imac?
flower_power69
Apr 20, 2000, 05:38 PM

I'm a student and recently got a new job. I'm saving up every possible penny in order to get the ibook/ibook se or imac. I almost have enough to get it and i'm totaly excited. I love mac's no matter what the type. But which one is more loveble???? The ibook, ibook se or imac? Are mac's worth it? If i gat an ibook can i make or edit movies with it? (imovie)

James Z
Apr 21, 2000, 02:27 AM

For the most part, I would say that you cannot edit DV on your iBook. Here is the question? Do you really need the portibility of an iBook. If you don't get the iMac. It is faster, more expandable, can actually play pretty cool games, and has a larger hard drive (DV and DV SE) and is cheaper....If you need to be mobile buy an iBook, don't spend the extra $200 for the SE, unless you just love Graphite.....otherwise buy an iMac DV or DV SE, you will probablly be happier in the long run. I have both an iMac and an iBook, now that of course, is the best, but then again I have a lot of student loans to pay back.

Dammit
Apr 21, 2000, 11:50 AM

iMac DVSE

walexx
Apr 22, 2000, 07:10 AM

I have an IMac DVSE, and am totally wrapped in it. I would choose it over the ibook anyday. Specs wise the ibook is great but if you want an ibook you are better off waiting for the next generation which is rumoured to be 2/3 the size, maybe a 13inch screen, DVD player and stereo sound just to name a few changes. You get all that now with the IMac. If u can wait, get the next gen ibook, but if time is not on your side, get the Imac, you wont regret it. I have an Imac and Powerbook G3, and after getting my Imac, my powerbook now sits there gathering dust.

Baitfish
Apr 23, 2000, 11:24 PM

If you want an iBook, the $200 extra for the SE is definately worth it. The case is gorgeous and the speed difference, IMHO, is noticeable.

RadarBob
Apr 25, 2000, 05:04 PM

No iBook comes w/ imovie software. You'd have to purchase it separately.

iMan
Forum Regular
May 13, 2000, 03:06 PM

Hello All,

Ypu can download iMovie from Apple www.apple.com/imovie
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

heart93
May 13, 2000, 04:22 PM

I recently purchased an ibook se & absolutely love it. No regrets whatsoever. That being said, if you don't need the portability you are better off getting a desktop machine for the expandability, cost, features, etc. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will be happy.

heart93

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2000, 06:50 PM

There isn't a way for the next iBook to have features like DVD and updates to the case making it 2/3 it's size just yet.

This would break the barrier between consumer and professional. Apple has PowerBook and iBook lines for a reason. If the iBook were just as great as the PowerBook, do you think anyone would buy their more expensive professional notebook, the PowerBook?

The PowerBook needs to have a gigantic edge over the iBook at all times to keep its platform alive.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2000, 06:52 PM

I'd reccomend getting the iMac DV Special Edition if you don't really need that much mobility. If you're going to be going all over the place, get an iBook. The iMac is fairly portable, enough so that you can take it with you just in case you need to spend the summer or a few weeks elsewhere, away from home.

Rabid
May 13, 2000, 11:06 PM

Ive had my ibook since it first came out and i use it every day 3 weeks ago i got a new g4and used it 3 times any questions

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
May 14, 2000, 12:10 AM

I had to decide between an iBook and iMac earlier this year, and got the iBook... sometimes i wish i had the extra hard drive space and such, but as i lay on my couch typing this, i realize the iBook was WELL worth it..

Forum Links
Forum Rules