Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Best game you played on Mac

Best game you played on Mac
Homer S.
Jan 4, 2005, 12:49 AM

Hi, wich is youre best game you haved played on the Mac... well, my favorite is UT2k4... but i would like to hear yours

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 01:52 AM

I'd have to say Call of Duty, and back in the day, Medal of Honor.

However, I enjoy a ton of FPS games on the Mac, like SOFII, NOLF 1&2, etc, etc.

Max Payne is cool too.
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 02:11 AM

Marathon in the old days. Spending all night (and I do mean until sunrise) at work with about 6 of us at different Macs in the newsroom fragging away merrily. Good times.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 02:11 AM

i hardly ever play games on my mac (or even back when i was using a pc). once in a while i will play a game for a short while.

i have to admit though. when i got into the world of warcraft beta i was blown away. i have never been a fan of online role playing games, nor did i ever think i could spend my life playing one. world of warcraft could have been that game, have i not a life, nor the time to spend sitting at my powerbook all day.

i don't know if this counts or not, but since pcsx was released today, i played some wild 9 from my playstation days and i could not stop smiling. i need to find all those old playstation games i loves so much on ebay now.

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jan 4, 2005, 02:50 PM

In no particular order...

Marathon II
Carmageddon I and II
Deus Ex
Crystal Quest
Crystay Crazy

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 04:44 PM

Deus Ex
Alice
Carmageddon I & II
Tomb Raider II
--Laurence

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2005, 06:54 PM

Probably Marathon.

All the other really good games I played on the Mac, I've played on the PC many times way before.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

Homer S.  (op)
Jan 4, 2005, 07:50 PM

with pcsx u insert the playstation games on the cd drive and u can play them????

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Homer S.:
with pcsx u insert the playstation games on the cd drive and u can play them????
Good question... with all other emulators, you need to download the "ROM" of the game, which creates all sorts of legal problems.

But, on the "Information" page of PCSX, it says "Native CD-ROM Support" which makes me think it actually reads Playstation CDs! That would be SOO cool.

I'm gonna give it a shot right now, though I know it's gonna run like crap on my 800mhz G4 iMac.
-iMac

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 08:45 PM

i just shoved the cd in. pressed command r in pcsx and it worked first time. it gave me that error about not having a rom when the app started, i just clicked past it.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 08:55 PM

Wow, you guys must be on drugs or something, because I don't see any mention of Escape Velocity! And I'm talking about the original. And yes, I too have spent entire days and nights (sometimes both, in a row) playing that game. Not only that, but it's a Mac exclusive game. And there were hundreds of plugins for it, including a few dozen completely new scenarios or heavily altered ones. People truly took that game to its limits, which is much more than can be said for the newer EV: Nova game.

There's so much more potential with EVN, but even almost three years after its release there aren't many total conversions out for it. And it's been over a year, maybe even almost two years since the Windows version came out and they still haven't even come out with a single patch for it because the porting company is MIA.

There are others though too! Super Ships II was an old game that only ran on 68k Macs. It's a top down view where you can have up to 8 ships compete against each other in a sort of deathmatch. I remember playing that over and over again with my brother and I sharing a keyboard and fighting the computers and each other. Sadly, it no longer worked when we moved from our Quadra 610 to a PowerMac 7100.

Finally, both X-wing and TIE Fighter provided me with many hours of entertainment, and a seriously worn-out ADB joystick. The missions each took at least 20-40 minutes to complete, and there were often over 100 of them in each game. Yeah, it took a while to complete.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
i just shoved the cd in. pressed command r in pcsx and it worked first time. it gave me that error about not having a rom when the app started, i just clicked past it.
Yep, this is soooo cool! Pop the Playstation CD in your Mac, run CD thru PCSX, and you're good to go!

I went ahead and tracked down the BIOS too... not too hard to find, but I had to join some obscure site... oh well, thank God for Hotmail.

But, as I assumed, it runs slower than a turtle on downers on my iMac. I mean, it literally played about 1 frame per every 5 seconds! lol
-iMac

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 09:43 PM

Really old games:

Dark Castle
Tetris

Old games:

Marathon
Doom II
Warcraft II

New:

World of Warcraft

-Q-
Jan 5, 2005, 02:25 PM

When I got my first 7100, I spent hours playing Realmz. In school, we'd play NetTrek and Tetris and Shadowgate.

Now, I'm addicted to WoW.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 02:52 PM

Old
-----------------------------
Crystal Quest
Dark Castle
Dungeon of Doom

Moderately Recent
Glider Pro -- Man, the number of hours I played this game and the number of 3rd party houses I downloaded... FYI, it's free, now.
Marathon

Recent
Diablo 2
World of Warcraft

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2005, 12:04 AM

I really like UT2004, but StarCraft and Brood War have a special place in my heart...Starcraft is approaching its 7th birthday and it's still the best RTS you can get, IMO.

(btw, my first post!)
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

BenN
Jan 6, 2005, 02:48 AM

X-Wing
Carmaggedon I & II
Command & Conquer
Baldur`s Gate I & II
Neverwinter Nights
PowerBook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 5400rpm 80GB HDD
PowerMac G4 Cube, 450MHz, 512MB, 7200rpm 120GB HDD, GigaDesigns Blue LED 80mm fan
AirMac Extreme network, connected to my FTTH (100Mb/s) phat pipe 8)

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2005, 06:10 AM

For me, Deus Ex is the single best game I've ever played, period. Such unbelievable plot and story, tons of missions, and all of it jammed onto one CD, hard to believe. For a more modern game, I love Call of Duty.

mikelauder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2005, 10:33 AM

Without a doubt Deus Ex is the best game I've ever played on any platform. There are so many subtle differences every time you play it through that it just gets more and more interesting.

Of the current crop Homeworld 2 has got to be up there - engaging gameplay with some of the most beautiful graphics ever!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 12:01 PM

As far as recent games go:

Homeworld 2
Knight of the Old Republic

Homer S.  (op)
Jan 6, 2005, 08:26 PM

Can someone tell me what is Marathon bout?

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2005, 09:14 PM

http://www.bungie.net/Games/Marathon/
-iMac

coconut
Jan 6, 2005, 10:24 PM

World of Warcraft, no contest.

Other great games:

Call of Duty
Medal of Honor
Unreal Tournament 2004
General Surgery Resident @ Université de Montréal
Former Apple Campus Marketing Rep

Abit667
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2005, 12:16 AM

Those countless hours of StarCraft on very subpar macs over appletalk with a bunch of friends. Still the most fun gaming I've had.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 04:19 AM

The best game I've played on my Mac is World of Warcraft. Will always have a special place for the entire Civilization series too, though.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 11:29 AM

WOW, The Last Express, Deus Ex, Escape Velocity, King of Dragon Pass.

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2005, 01:57 PM

No one really knows the tru7h about Marathon. Hamish Sinclair has done an excellent job of keeping track of what is currently known: Marathon Story

--ranga

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 03:10 PM

Old:
SimAnt (I had a fondness for this game when I was young)
Eric's Ultimate Solitare
The Incredible Machine

Moderate:
Carmageddon II (I'd say this was the best game I've ever played on an Apple)
Driver
Age of Empires
OpenGL Quake

New:
Call of Duty
Command and Conquer Generals

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 09:20 PM

Only computer games I ever like and ever will most likely like:

Myth: The Fallen Lords
Myth II: Soulblighter
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

mr. burns
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Wow, you guys must be on drugs or something, because I don't see any mention of Escape Velocity! And I'm talking about the original. And yes, I too have spent entire days and nights (sometimes both, in a row) playing that game. Not only that, but it's a Mac exclusive game. And there were hundreds of plugins for it, including a few dozen completely new scenarios or heavily altered ones. People truly took that game to its limits, which is much more than can be said for the newer EV: Nova game.

There's so much more potential with EVN, but even almost three years after its release there aren't many total conversions out for it. And it's been over a year, maybe even almost two years since the Windows version came out and they still haven't even come out with a single patch for it because the porting company is MIA.

oh man, i'm right there with you. i love that game. i've got most of the elite ships and can dominate most planets with enough time so i haven't played it much.

current game i can't stop playing is Diablo 2 hardcore classic ladder. i have an 89 paly soon to be 90. i'm in the top 15 paladin-wise.

in both of these games one of the important things are the cools items and gear you can get and customize. especially in D2. I NEED ANOTHER SOJ!

not all who wander are lost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules