Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Increase the amount of VRAM

Increase the amount of VRAM
edavidburg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2008, 01:23 PM

My MacBook has integrated graphics, and the VRAM is shared with the main memory. I recently upgraded to 3GB of RAM, and I'd like to increase the amount of VRAM available. Is this possible? I'm not afraid of the terminal.

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 16, 2008, 01:35 PM

I don't think it's possible. I did a quick search on Google and couldn't find any promising answers.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2008, 02:03 PM

The OS should automatically increase VRAM if more is needed.

If you want to increase it manually, you probably have some misconception about VRAM.

jwpacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2008, 11:04 PM

Depending on which vintage of Macbook you have, your display adapter uses either 64 or 144 MB of system RAM. It always allocates this much, as far as I can tell, no matter how much RAM you have. That's part of the reason that the first Macbook, with 512 MB of RAM was a little pokey - you were already committing over 10% of your RAM to video. With the just 1 Gig, units with the updated display adapter were in the same boat.

As I just upgraded to 4 GB in mine, I wish there was a way, but short of some serious hardware modification, it's just not going to happen.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2008, 02:41 AM

I can actually think of only very few situations where poor MB(A) graphics performance is due to the amount of VRAM rather than simply the Intel 950/X3100's lack of raw power. And even if you had infinite VRAM, your MB(A) GPU would still be communicating with it over the memory bus.

solarshd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by edavidburg View Post
My MacBook has integrated graphics, and the VRAM is shared with the main memory. I recently upgraded to 3GB of RAM, and I'd like to increase the amount of VRAM available. Is this possible? I'm not afraid of the terminal.
Here, you can increase the amount of vram available for use by entering these codes into terminal. They are completely safe. I used them on my macbook as well. Works great! Tell me how it goes.

$cd /usr/lib
$sudo cp libcrypto.0.9.dylib libcrypto.0.9.dylib.old
$sudo cp libssl.0.9.dylib libssl.0.9.dylib.old
$sudo ln -sf libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib libcrypto.0.9.dylib
$sudo ln -sf libssl.0.9.7.dylib libssl.0.9.dylib
Don't enter the dollar signs into the terminal. They just mean a new line in the terminal.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 02:01 AM

Don't do that.

That's just copying new versions of ssl. It may cause issues with older software. (Specifically anything using ssl and linking against the 10.2 SDK)

Look at what you're actually doing, you're backing up libssl.0.9 and libcrypto.0.9 and you're then symlinking the newer versions in the place (Making an alias for all the people who don't know what a symbolic link is).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2008, 03:30 AM

What does SSL have to do with the amount of shared video memory?

solarshd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Don't do that.

That's just copying new versions of ssl. It may cause issues with older software. (Specifically anything using ssl and linking against the 10.2 SDK)

Look at what you're actually doing, you're backing up libssl.0.9 and libcrypto.0.9 and you're then symlinking the newer versions in the place (Making an alias for all the people who don't know what a symbolic link is).
It works for 10.5 leopard which i have on my black macbook

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by solarshd View Post
It works for 10.5 leopard which i have on my black macbook
Nonsense. There is absolutely no connection between VRAM and SSL. What you are seeing is an artifact of something else at best.

Forum Links
Forum Rules