Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Setting up Mail with Media Temple account

Setting up Mail with Media Temple account
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 05:07 PM

I'm trying to set up a Media Temple IMAP account in Mail.app. I've set up thousands of IMAP accounts before, but this time it's giving me problems. According to the Media Temple support pages no IMAP prefix is needed. But without one a bunch of folders show up in Mail that clearly shouldn't (public_html) being one prime example. From the look of things, the path should probably be mail/, but everything I've found online says that no prefix is necessary.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

arman.mt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 08:43 PM

Hey there,

You should be able to set the prefix to INBOX to get it to work properly.

Cheers!

--Arman Z. - (mt) Media Temple, Inc.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2007, 09:58 PM

OS X Mail should recognize mbox and Maildir mailboxes with the standard INBOX at the top level of the hierarchy. The path prefix shouldn't be necessary to set, at least with all Unix-based IMAP servers I'm aware of.
( Last edited by besson3c; Aug 14, 2007 at 10:54 PM. )

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 08:46 AM

It now appears that my client (I was doing this for a client...), or someone who had been messing with his account previously, probably created the public_html folder and it was actually working properly... I talked to a media temple support guy who confirmed that I had the account set up properly and that if any of those folders were showing up it was because someone must have created them. I'm thinking that his web designer must have done it more or less inadvertently when working on the web page.

Forum Links
Forum Rules