Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 2 problems (DNS and root passwd)

2 problems (DNS and root passwd)
circa76
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2004, 11:39 AM

Hi,

I just got my new iBook G4 with airport extreme. I have a linksys WRT54G wireless router that is currently setup wirelessly with a WinXP box.

The WinXP box works fine. My iBook does not. I am able to connect to my router and obtain an IP address from it's DHCP server. The DNS entries are also (as witnessed when I took a look into /var/run/resolv.conf)

However, the problem is that I cannot resolve any web names. e.g. trying google.com in Safari or IE doesn't work. However, typing in google.com's IP address works. So this tells me that it's a DNS issue and not a routing one.

To be thorough, I also connected my iBook via a wired connection and everything is working flawlessly. So any ideas what I can do to get the wireless DNS issue fixed?

Also, I'm trying to change the root password so I can "su" to it in Terminal. I tried apple's docs which said to go to Utilties->NetInfo Manager and goto the Security menu and EnableRootUser. However, I don't have any such menu. I tried going to users -> root and changing the password but it didn't work. Anyone know how I can change the root password?

Oh last question.. my wireless is currently on WPA+TKIP. I had WPA+AES going for my WinXP machine but discovered that OSX (10.3.5) doesn't support AES. Does anyone know if there's a patch to fix that?

thanks!!

John Strung
Senior User
Dec 18, 2004, 12:45 PM

Try entering the DNS IP's manually on separate lines in the Domain Name Server box in your TCP/IP prefs.

circa76  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by John Strung:
Try entering the DNS IP's manually on separate lines in the Domain Name Server box in your TCP/IP prefs.
Hi, I tried it and all it did was duplicate the entries currently in resolv.conf but didn't work.

Any other ideas? thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules