Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Applications destination poll

Applications destination poll
Polopo43
Sep 6, 2001, 07:13 PM

I would like to know where you would install new applications (not shipping with osX) if you were the only user of the computer, and why.

1) in /Applications ?
So that you have every applications in the same folder.

or

2) in /Users/yourname/Applications ?
Its convenient to backup your system. You only have to copy the /Users/yourname folder, but then you have apps in two places...

What do you think ?
Thx !
Polopo

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2001, 07:22 PM

There are special features that don't work if an app is not inside the Applications folder, though registering an app for Services is the only one I'm aware of at the moment.

developer
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

hamnchz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2001, 07:27 PM

I have decided to leave the basic OSX apps by themselves in the Applications folder.

For instance, I have put the new LimeWire for X app, in users/myname/music.

I generally know what to expect when I open up the X apps folder, and that I will find "utilitarian" applications there, and they will mostly be basic Apple stuff like Mail and browsers.

I find I am rethinking my whole organizational strategy with X. I am only a single user, but I am going with Apple's way, which is geared for multi-users.

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: hamnchz ]

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: hamnchz ]
If it ain't broke, keep messin' with it

malvolio
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2001, 07:28 PM

Neither. I keep my added apps on a separate partition from my OS X files. Don't even have to back 'em up if/when I need to reformat.
(But note that this does NOT work for apps that provide Services. Those have to go in /Applications.)
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

conny
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2001, 07:34 PM

I keep all apps under /Appliactions. But I created sub folders such as "Media", "Internet", "Graphics", "Games" and "Utilities" to make it more structured.

<dont.wanna.tell>
Sep 6, 2001, 07:56 PM

I too keep em all on a seperate partition.

But I linked them in via a directory called "Zug�nge" (I�m from germany. which holds shortcuts to:
  • Applications
  • Applications (private)
  • Developer
  • All Partitions

And a few more things (mp3s for example.

So I only have to keep this one folder in the dock to have instant access to everything in every place on my computer.

Bad to say, I really miss spring loaded folders in some cases. But this approach is far mor accessible from any application, so its not bad.

Cu Martin

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2001, 09:18 PM

I keep my software on its own volume. At the volume's root level are the folders:
*Applications
*Games / Emulators
*Net
*Utilities
*Viewers

Prior to OSX and its use of Application Bundles, those folders would actually contain aliases to the actual programs, and a subfolder with the same name as the container. The programs, and appropriate folders, etc. would be in the subfolder. Given that I've had Bundles go south on me quite a bit, I'd've prefered an enhancement and more significant use of forked files instead. (they're both basically the same thing, but I never had programs turn into folders before, and forks seem more elegant)

Additionally, with the lack of a real Apple Menu or equivalent, I've had to make an additional DAs folder, but I'm not happy with this solution; it keeps the DAs too far away to be convenient, and not enfoldering them seems to make them too prominent to be comfortable.

Personally, I don't see why this scheme, or any other, should be impossible to reconcile with multiuser needs without changing the scheme in any way. But I've gone off about that before.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2001, 10:04 PM

All my apps go in the Applications folder (or Applications/Utilities) and are easily accessible with LaunchBar.

v0id7
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2001, 10:31 PM

/applications
its already a habit
_______void_______

[email protected]
Senior User
Sep 6, 2001, 10:40 PM

i utilize a '3rd_party' folder on a separate partition. i just found that if you put an alias of an app in the applications folder, the services are enabled for that app ( i moved mail to my 3rd party folder and aliased it in /Applications - omniweb could still perform "mail text...")

FWIW

[email protected]
Senior User
Sep 6, 2001, 10:44 PM

duhhh...never go back.

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

Polopo43  (op)
Sep 7, 2001, 08:51 AM

Thank you for all your information.

I like the "conny" way:
I keep all apps under /Appliactions. But I created sub folders such as "Media", "Internet", "Graphics", "Games" and "Utilities" to make it more structured.

One more question: if you choose this configuration and you upgrade from e.g. macos X 10.0.1 to macos X 10.0.4, will it upgrade applications like "mail" correctly if they are in another folder.(e.g. /Applications/Internet instead of the built-in configuration /Applications) ?

Any infos if this is also true in macos 10.1 ?
Thanks !
Polopo

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2001, 09:40 AM

I put most of my apps in subfolders of /Applications. That lets me organize them the way I want to, while still keeping OSX happy; the best of both worlds.

The only app I leave at the /Applications level is Sherlock, because of the bug with the Find command if you move it out.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules