Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Do cleaning CDs/DVDs really work?

Do cleaning CDs/DVDs really work?
HamSandwich
May 24, 2013, 10:49 AM

Hello,

my mum's old iMac (2007, but still running great... 10.8) started making a strange noise when burning CDs about a year ago, now, for the first time I'd say, it just doesn't recognize an empty Verbatim disc she wanted to burn. I know it's more or less supposed to do that, as the iMac was also used rather intensively, and the drive, too.
However, also for curiosity's sake - do these cleaning CDs/DVDs really work? (How, anyway?) Could this help? Any experiences?

Greetings,
Pete

ibook_steve
May 24, 2013, 11:20 AM

Do all disks have issues? What about CDs/DVDs? Have you tried different media? Hopefully, the drive isn't dying.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

andi*pandi
May 24, 2013, 11:22 AM

The cleaning dvds may help get dust off the laser etc, but it's more likely the drive is going.

reader50
Administrator
May 24, 2013, 12:35 PM

I've tried compressed air into a disk slot. It may get some dust off the laser and generally out of the drive, but the improvement (if any) was always small & temporary. In the long run, I've always had to replace misbehaving optical drives. It seems like the laser gets weaker with time - you'd have to replace the laser (or the mini board it's on) to fix it. A replacement drive is far cheaper than dissassembly, parts orders, and fine soldering work.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2013, 01:36 PM

Six years old and it didn't die long ago? That's far longer than any slot-loading optical drive I've used has lasted. Count your blessings and get a new optical drive.

I recommend an external, tray-loading drive. Tray loaders seem a lot more reliable and long-lived to me than slot-loaders, and then you can re-use the drive later on once you upgrade to one of the newer Mac models that doesn't have a built-in optical drive.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2013, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I recommend an external, tray-loading drive. Tray loaders seem a lot more reliable and long-lived to me than slot-loaders

My 10 years old MDD's optical drives are full operative.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2013, 02:27 PM

I have a slot loader or two that still work after a few years. One is almost 5 but was removed and stored a year ago (it worked last I tried it), I have one in an iBook G4 which I think still works and even a couple in TiBooks.

My MDD always did the majority of the heavy lifting when it came to burning discs though. Quicker by far. Don't burn many these days.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules