Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WarCraftIII on Pismo running OSX 10.3.5

WarCraftIII on Pismo running OSX 10.3.5
bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 05:56 PM

Hey All

I just downloaded WarCraftIII to my Pismo 400 running OSX 10.3.5. Seems to run fine, just wish that in the Options menu that you can control the Mouse movement speed...

The Game says(Off WebSite)I need to have 16mb Video min... But it seems to run fine at the videos lowest settings...

I was wondering if I buy the Full version that the base Video use is changed so it doesn't run that well as the Demo version??? If it does I Won't get it... If it plays like the Demo, I'll pick it up!!!

Thanks!!!

Brad

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 07:52 PM

I don't recommend this... I got the full version of WCIII to play on my Sawtooth 400 with gig RAM and 16MB video... it works just fine to start with at low settings. However, on larger maps or times with more units, the game becomes almost unplayable. I did manage to finish the single player game (on easy) although my biggest opponent was the studder when trying to switch my view.

I tried this summer to play it on a LAN... at the height of the game, once everybody had built armies, I would get a new frame every 15 seconds or so...

basically, large custom or LAN games (probably b.net, too, I never tried because of the problems I had in other places plus the dial-up problem...) are completely out. Single player is workable, although it gets frustrating. I imagine the harder difficulty would be worse (more time spent with AI).

To answer your question, no, the retail version won't have higher requirements... but the demo version really doesn't do anything that will tax your computer like the actual game will. In essence, yes, the demo is playable and no, the full version will probably not be.

bgotori  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 07:46 PM

Hey Turnpike

Thanks for the Info!!!

Yea.., I also have just a dial-up connection.

What games play well on your machine??? Looking for some games for my Pismo...

Thanks Again!!!

Brad

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 04:21 AM

personally, I really didn't see a whole lot of choices for games after I made the switch to OS X. After switching to X, I pretty much stuck with Diablo II. Almost exclusively, in fact. Even this can get slow in areas, but not unbearably slow and it works well over dial-up (not as well as over faster connections, but certainly playable).

The Sims should work well, too. It did for me. However, you have to be a certain type of person to enjoy playing The Sims. I am not that type of person. I found it to be a good way to kill a weekend, but after the weekend I regretted killing it. Other games let me be happy about killing weekends .

Starcraft should work well. I don't have a copy, so I can't really say for sure, but I think it should. SC, like Diablo II, has an OS X native installer available from Blizzard.

Quake 3 was always fun and I believe was available for OS X. There are also some really nice (free) mods out there for it, like Urban Terror.

Unreal Tournament (the original... UT99) was also great fun. I can't remember if it worked under OS X or not. I don't think it did, but I don't think I looked too hard for it.

I also spent many hours whiling away my time with iPoker. If you like almost any variant of poker, that one's great.

Escape Velocity: Nova is another great game. It can get a bit laggy when the screen gets busy in a big battle, but most of the time this won't really matter too much. Certain play styles might be limited, but for the most part all should be well. Get the 30-day trial. If it runs well, the full version will run well.

Uplink was also a favorite. Basically, you pretend to be a hacker with all sorts of automated hacking tools. Very innovative game, and it doesn't really eat much CPU or GPU at all (mostly menu based). Try the demo for it if you haven't.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but that should get you started. Good luck!

Bookie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2004, 11:14 AM

If you want to play the single player campaign, you might find it playable for the most part. They are fun, and you'd get many hours of gameplay just playing through all the acts.

I'd agree that when you do multiplayer, you'll get yer butt kicked because you can't control your troops. I have a hard enough time with it on my iMac 600 with 16 MB of VRAM. I've also played on an iBook 1.2 gHz with a Radeon 9200 with 32 MB of VRAM, and it is amazing how much better you can keep control of things when your computer isn't struggling with the frames.
Don't blame me - I voted Democrat

bgotori  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 04:56 PM

Hey All

Thanks for the Info on the Games!!!

I'll check those out!!!

Thanks Again!!!

Brad

Forum Links
Forum Rules