Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Trouble mounting DVD's in OSX burned on a PC

Trouble mounting DVD's in OSX burned on a PC
vickster
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2003, 08:08 AM

Any help would be greatly 'preciated, as I've hit the proverbial wall. I'm working on a new TV series and the bloody studio's either too cheap or too lazy to send us more than one copy of the pilot on DVD. I'm sure this will be an issue with dailies as well, so I convinced the office to invest in a burner to throw in one of the office machines (and I'd gladly purchase it at the end of the show for half of what they paid ).

So...they got this TDK IndiDVD 420N DVD+/+RW drive that I subsequently installed in a PC running XP Pro. Now I'm new to DVD burning, but not to pc's as I've built a few in my lifetime and I've owned Macs for over a decade (currently an iBook 700) so I feel like I know my way around a little I've burned three diff DVD's in three diff ways, and have yet to get any of them to run in OSX:

1)DVD Decrypter - runs in several set-top DVD players and in my XP box at home, as well as my bro's Toshiba laptop.

2)Nero(5.5.10.12)using Nero Express (copy DVD); it simply copied the data into an image on the virtual recorder (ISO/UDF), I opened the image and burned. Same results.

Then I read that OSX reads UDF volumes so I burned another by configuring my options to write a DVD-Rom using UDF. I dragged the files from the original disc over to the approprite directory, named the new DVD and then burned.

Still, it locked up my iBook. Then I remembered a reply to a thread on DVD burning at another site, and they mentioned needing certain extensions in 9 to enable DVD reading (specifically Toast CD Reader and UDF Volume Access). So I though, what the heck - I'll boot into 9 (which I'd never done on this comp). Lo and behold, the DVD played fine, in addition to all the other machines I tested. Now most of our D.P.'s and directors use Macs, and most of 'em just want to be able to slot in the disc and have it work without wondering whether they're in Classic or OSX.

Oh, and the discs were burning from don't have some kind of copyright protection scheme or anything like that, just plain ol' data - an AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder. Two chapters, about 1.8 gigs of stuff

Anybody got any ideas?

vickster

vickster  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2003, 07:46 AM

A bump for my lonely post...

vickster

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2003, 08:11 AM

See this thread and this guy for the best chance of help

Forum Links