Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Western Digital TB Ethernet drive with Time Machine?

Western Digital TB Ethernet drive with Time Machine?
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 02:04 PM

I was planning to use a La Cie TB Ethernet drive as a Time Machine backup for my Macs, but from what I can tell, a good number of La Cie TB drives are failing after a year or so of use. Western Digital makes a similar model, but I can't find anywhere if it can be mounted as an AFP share which, as far as I know, is necessary to use it with Time Machine. Does anyone have any idea if this is doable?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2007, 10:05 PM

If you can use a LaCie, you can use any external drive. what is important is the manufacturer of the drive itself, LaCie uses other firms HDs to make their backup drives. What if they use WD? Personally I would only use Seagate and Hitachi, having heard negative stuff about Maxtor and WD. You can also build your own, just go to Oliver Wyman, they have the drives and the cases. Others, BTW, probably swear by one or more of the brands I don't recommend, so it's only my 2c

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 12:03 AM

Looks great, but can I use it with Time Machine? I'm not trying to be purposefully stupid, but as far as I know Time Machine will work with an AFP network drive, and I can't find any mention of AFP on this thing.
( Last edited by Don Pickett; Dec 6, 2007 at 03:32 AM. )

EddieZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2007, 03:33 PM

I have had lots of problems trying to make Time Machine work well over a network. I finally just plugged a Drobo in, set up a partition for Time Machine and it's working great.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by EddieZ View Post
I have had lots of problems trying to make Time Machine work well over a network. I finally just plugged a Drobo in, set up a partition for Time Machine and it's working great.
Looking around I have come to the same conclusion. Looks like I will get a 1 TB external, plug it into the desktop and share that drive to other machines over the network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules