Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook C2D or Refurbished MBP 1.83

Macbook C2D or Refurbished MBP 1.83
mecmecmec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 08:18 AM

Hi, im in a dilema, im not sure which one to get, they both cost the same, either a white mackbook 1.83 c2d new with 1 gig, or a refurbished macbook pro with a core duo 1.83, are refurisehd laptops good quality and which is better value for money as the macbook hasa a newer processor.
( Last edited by mecmecmec; Jan 2, 2007 at 08:20 AM. Reason: interenet sent it early)

Googler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 03:10 AM

yes they are generally good quality and are covered by waranty anyway. really depends what you want, the only advantage you'll likely get from the refurb mbp is the v-ram. and considering what people have said about the c2d's effect on gaming n 3d rendering on these machines, i'm not sure of the difference between a c2d macbook and a cd mbp. I honestly dont think it'd be much.

I'de honestly put this one down to looks, which one do u reacon looks better? lol cuz i doubt performance would be noticeably different.

As for value for money they are both pretty good i mean personally if i was stuck with that choice i'de get the macbook only cuz of the newer processor and the fact that if your even considerin a macbook v-ram probly dusnt mean much to you.

jeffr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 03:46 AM

As much as I love my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, I wouldn't recommend a refurbished MBP at all. Before I got this MBP new, I ordered a refurbished Core Duo from Apple. It arrived warped, it wouldn't sit flat on a table, the metal above the lid latch bowed outward, and it would not read burned DVDs. I sent it back and Apple sent me a replacement. That one arrived with a smudge in the LCD screen, the iSight cam didn't work, and it wouldn't burn DVDs or CDs. It kept giving me a 'Hardware Did Not Respond' error. It also went back. That was when I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new one. I would not buy another MBP refurbished, that is for sure.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2007, 05:35 PM

I'd disagree with jeffr. I just got a refurb MBP 2.0 in perfect condition, and they even gave me a 100GB HD when I only paid for 80. Apart from the box it's basically a new computer.

The other main advantage (than dedicated video card) of a MBP over a MB is the screen size, 13.3" vs 15.4", it's a better size/resolution to work on. Of the two choices the MBP is the better buy... although maybe you could just get a refurb Macbook and save even more money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules