Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > do aperture and/or lightroom duplicate files when they import them?

do aperture and/or lightroom duplicate files when they import them?
ph0ust
Senior User
Aug 22, 2008, 12:27 PM

hi all. i am going to start testing aperture 2 and lightroom 2. i've used lightroom 1.x a lot and a bit of aperture, so perhaps this is a questions that is late in the game. i am wondering if either or both of these programs duplicate the files they work on. here is my workflow:

1) import pictures from camera to /pictures/holding area/
2) open workflow tool and quickly review and delete bad pics
3) batch rename
4) save to permanent dir in my pictures folder (normally one named for whatever the shoot was)
5) edit

my aperture library is big, so i am assuming it is importing all pictures into that db and keeping them there as part of its dam. does that mean it is safe to assume that my original files are simply originals that aren't touched and that aperture only works on the imported versions in its db?

i don't see anything like that for lightroom. it seems they use sidecar files instead, so i assume it does not do any duplication, right?

thanks for the clarification.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 12:53 PM

Both applications allow you to choose whether you want to copy the photos into their own library or just reference them from their current location.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/li...ort/popup.html
http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutori...t-importbasics

Either way – and again on both programs – the original is never touched regardless of whether it is referenced or whether it sits in the program's own library.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Aug 22, 2008, 01:44 PM

right on! thanks for clarifying that for me.

on that note, can aperture read lightroom edits from the side car files? or is an edit in one app invisible to the other app?

Forum Links
Forum Rules