Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > X-box: can I back up game CD with Toast?

X-box: can I back up game CD with Toast?
bvorbau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 08:51 PM

Just bought an X-Box for the kids and am worried that they will damage the game CDs. Can I use Toast [I have 4,5 & 6] to back up the game CD [or are they DVDs?]

I yes, what settings? method?

BTW, what about the PS2 purple CDs. [Didn't get one yet but may soon. We'll see what the post Xmas sales offer.]

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2003, 09:24 PM

Short answer No, with a "but", long answer Yes, with an "if". It can be done, but it definitely isn't as easy as you'd think.

As there hasn't been much success (that I know of) in decrypting the format of Xbox DVDs (both Xbox and PS2 uses DVDs), the only way is to transfer the data from the disc while it is inside the console. This includes connecting the Xbox to your computer with an ethernet cable and using FTP to access the data. You'll need some tools, which most likely aren't legal, but can be found around the web if you search for them.

You'll then need to burn it do a DVD, but as as that's not my area I can't say anything further.

Forum Links
Forum Rules