Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > apple 17" display brightness btn not working

apple 17" display brightness btn not working
Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2007, 08:27 PM

long story short:

I have a 17" apple cinema display. A few nights ago, I touched the little brightness button on the front of the display and under the options dialog box that popped up, I checked the box that said, "disable button" or something like that...well, now I can no longer adjust the brightness of this screen. The options dialog no longer appears when I go to Display Preferences and on top of that, my display button obviously no longer works (nor is there a way to turn this function back on, because the options section is missing). Please help.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2007, 12:09 AM

Is the USB cable still plugged in?

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2007, 09:27 AM

The only cable that runs out of my 17" display (the first generation of apple's flatscreens) is he thick DVI cord. Would my second monitor have anything to do with it? It's the 30" apple display...that has a USB cable.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Foxdog175 View Post
The only cable that runs out of my 17" display (the first generation of apple's flatscreens) is he thick DVI cord. Would my second monitor have anything to do with it? It's the 30" apple display...that has a USB cable.
I think the first gen 17" displays had USB. Maybe not the black ones, but the colored ones certainly did.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2007, 09:33 PM

I've had this monitor for many years, but it doesn't have any USB coming out of it...the only USB it has are two ports on the backside of the computer (for peripherals).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Foxdog175 View Post
I've had this monitor for many years, but it doesn't have any USB coming out of it...the only USB it has are two ports on the backside of the computer (for peripherals).
You're right. My mistake - they use the ADC connector (DVI, power, USB).
What kind of Mac are you running these two displays on? Are you using an DVI-ADC converter box? Or does your card have a dual-link DVI and an ADC connector (the only two I believe that exist are the G5 edition AGP Radeon X800XT and X850XT - not sure about the G5 edition PCIe X1900XT).

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2007, 09:44 AM

Dual 2GHz G5 with the custom Radeon X800XT. Like I said before, I've always been able to adjust the brightness setting on the monitor until I checked the, "disable [display button]" in the Display preference pane. Since I did that, the option to turn it back on (along with the brightness option) has completely disappeared from that preference pane. These were both located under the Options section of the preference pane.

Forum Links
Forum Rules