Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How much free space is on your iPhone

View Poll Results: How much free space is on your iPhone?
Poll Options:
50MB or less free space 0 votes (0%)
Between 51MB-100MB free space 0 votes (0%)
Between 101-500MB free space 2 votes (13.33%)
Between 501MB-1GB free space 5 votes (33.33%)
Over 1GB free space 8 votes (53.33%)
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll
How much free space is on your iPhone
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 04:41 PM

Title says it all.

Is your iPhone empty or packed to the gills?

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 04:46 PM

Currently I've got 447MB free out of 8GB.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 07:39 PM

I go between about 100-300 MB free on my 4GB, while rotating abums in and out.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 07:55 PM

Mine has everything I want to watch/listen to and I still have space. I thought 8GB wasn't much but I like it because you're able to pic and choose what you actually want to hear instead of an 80GB ipod where you have to shuffle through a couple hundred songs until you find something worth listening to.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2007, 02:38 AM

This is an interesting question, because I've heard a number of sites repeating the idea that you should keep 10% of your iPhone's capacity empty for it to function properly (apparently they're assuming that the iPhone is the same as a normal computer that runs OS X). But I am not convinced that this is necessary. For one thing, if it were necessary to keep such a large amount of space empty, I would think Apple would have let us know about it somehow (such as a knowledgebase article or a warning in iTunes when we put too much on) or else just partitioned off the part of the flash memory that the system needs and not let us touch it. They have to know that people are going to treat the iPhone like an iPod (which we can pretty much pack full) and not like a normal computer. So the fact that we haven't seen anything from Apple regarding this (at least to my knowledge) implies to me that it isn't necessary. And I've filled my iPhone pretty much completely full and not noticed any ill effects. What about other people?

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 08:56 AM

I've never noticed any ill effects from having the phone filled to near capacity either, granted that's only happened once or twice.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they engineered the iPhone to never require a swapfile, or at least generate swapfiles at smaller than 64MB chunks. Hum.. speaking of, anyone with shell access on their iPhone wanna see whats in /private/var/vm?
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2007, 09:15 AM

I deleted a few cartoons on the way into work this morning after I watched them, so I have 1.6gb free right now.
Normally I have the latest Daily Show and Colbert Report, 2 Pixar movies, and a handful of video podcasts, in addition to the rest of my music. That normally leaves me with maybe 200mb free.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2007, 11:54 AM

I think your logic is correct, icruise. Given the limited capacity of the iPhone, Apple could not possibly expect users not to fill it nearly to capacity. People are accustomed to doing that with other phones anyway.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 06:36 AM

Can someone tell me what's the actual free space of a brand new 4GB & 8GB iPhone?
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Forum Links
Forum Rules