Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > A new REAL iPhone app.

A new REAL iPhone app.
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 09:16 PM

Linky

Yes, its a real iPhone app, it gets its own icon on the main screen.
Signature depreciated.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2007, 09:48 PM

Leave it to Google...

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2007, 11:31 PM

hopefully this is the first of many to come

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2007, 10:39 AM

If Apple doesn't at least somewhat open the iPhone to third party apps and Google releases a Linux phone (as they are rumored to), I may just have to cancel my relationship with AT&T prematurely.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 4, 2007, 01:08 PM

I don't understand why you would want to switch to a linux phone. I used the Zaurus line of linux PDAs pretty extensively, and while they definitely have their uses, it was *terrible* from a usability perspective and most of the third-party apps were atrocious. Seriously, shockingly bad. I tried half a dozen applications that claimed to be RSS readers, for example. Some of them required a serious investment in time and research just to install. And when I did get them installed, they were half-finished (missing basic functionality) and didn't work right much of the time. The newsgator.com iPhone portal is already WAY better than any of the programs that I tried.

The main problem seems to be that you have a bunch of people working independently on their own pet projects. That means that they only have the functionality that they personally want, and they have little to no standardization of UI, either. Most of the programs that I liked ended up withering on the vine because the person in charge of them didn't keep up with them. (Note that I'm not saying that desktop Linux is necessarily like this, but it did seem true of the handheld Zaurus apps.)

That's not to say that I don't want third-party apps on the iPhone. I think the popularity of the iPhone and the existing Mac developer community would help to solve some of these problems, as would the possibility of selling some of the software instead of releasing it for free.

vln2
Aug 4, 2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
If Apple doesn't at least somewhat open the iPhone to third party apps and Google releases a Linux phone (as they are rumored to), I may just have to cancel my relationship with AT&T prematurely.
Are you talking about OpenMoko - Neo 1973?
- No WiFi
- memory 180 MB (has MicroSD but how many SD cards do you need to carry to match 8Gig in iPhone?
- Slow 266Mhz processor
- No H.264
- No camera
- Smaller and worse screen then iPhone
- No MultiTouch

Doesn't sound like improvement to me.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2007, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by vln2 View Post
Are you talking about OpenMoko - Neo 1973?
- No WiFi
- memory 180 MB (has MicroSD but how many SD cards do you need to carry to match 8Gig in iPhone?
- Slow 266Mhz processor
- No H.264
- No camera
- Smaller and worse screen then iPhone
- No MultiTouch

Doesn't sound like improvement to me.
No, I'm talking about this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules