Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Conan 0'Brien in Canada: anyone watching?

Conan 0'Brien in Canada: anyone watching?
Spliff
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 05:55 AM

I'm sort of embarrassed by my fellow Canadian's over-reaction to Conan in Toronto.

Any Americans watching? Or are you turned off by all the Canadian jokes and references?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2004, 05:57 AM

Conan is so bad he's good. It took me a little while to figure it out though.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Conan is so bad he's good.
Now you take that back!

I've watched every episode. I'm in Vancouver and I don't mind the Toronto/Ontario-centric materials at all. Really, who cares?? Conan's in Canada! I love how the audience is treating him - best.audience.ever (on his show, anyways). My favourite show was Wednesday w/Micheal J Fox; it had me laughing from start to finish (by "finish" I meant right before Nickelback sang ).

Conan is the best comedian on tv, I tell ya. That guy is so quick and witty. He's gonna be on tv for a long long time.

Be cool my babies

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2004, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
I'm sort of embarrassed by my fellow Canadian's over-reaction to Conan in Toronto.
Same here. Apparently his agent is floored by all the attention.

Anyways, if it were a reasonable hour I'd probably watch a bit. But it isn't so I don't.

andi*pandi
Feb 13, 2004, 09:19 AM

I had insomnia this week so I watched some of it. I always liked Conan.

I missed the Michael J Fox though.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 11:08 AM

Why? It's a pretty big deal. I mean, the Elgin holds something like 5 times the audience he's used to, which is pretty cool. It's obvious he's having a lot of fun, and the shows have been pretty damn funny so far. All the tongue-in-cheek jabs at Canadian stereotypes have all been great.

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 04:46 PM

There's a lot of controversy regarding Triumph the Comic Insult Dog's visit to Quebec. He didn't pull his punches.

I don't understand the controversy. Why is it okay for Canadian comedy shows on the CBC to make fun of Americans, but not for an American show to make fun of Quebec?

Canadian comedian Rick Mercer is always insulting Americans and their supposed lack of intelligence. Smells like hypocrisy to me.

Some of what Triumph said:

"I can tell you are French -- I can smell your crotch from here," a beret-wearing Triumph said to one over-styled downtown dude. His victims seemed shocked and uncomprehending.

"You're French and Canadian? That means you're obnoxious and dull?" he barked at one man who refused to get upset.

A translator then had the brutal task of insulting these Carnival goers in their own tongue.

One couple showed the dog their backs.

"You're in North America -- learn the language," Triumph heckled.

And later: "Are you separatists? Listen carefully: Do you hear that? It's the sound of nobody giving a crap."

Triumph went straight to the heart of Bill 101. French language street signs in Quebec City were replaced with English signs reading, "Rue de Pussies" and "Celine Dion Sucks Street."

Stunningly, after the show, O'Brien treated the theatre audience to what was presented as a bonus: more anti-Quebec venom from Triumph. The main target here was the Bonhomme du Carnival, the smiley snowman Triumph called a "corporate whore" and "the Michelin Man's gay cousin."

"Look at him," Triumph shouted at the mobbed mascot. "That's how Hitler got started."

Even poutine was savaged. "It looks like Bonhomme took a dump on my french fries."

Triumph/Smigel finally persuaded an ice sculptor to add a snow likeness of a dog humping a reclining Bonhomme. "Your tax dollars at work, Canada!" he yelped, a phrase sure to be repeated in both official languages around the House of Commons today.
Picture of Bonhomme: http://www.edu.pe.ca/staugustin/bonhomme.jpg

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 07:11 PM

There's a lot of controversy regarding Triumph the Comic Insult Dog's visit to Quebec. He didn't pull his punches.

I don't understand the controversy. Why is it okay for Canadian comedy shows on the CBC to make fun of Americans, but not for an American show to make fun of Quebec?
The question should be why is okay for Canadians to make fun of Canada and the US, and the US to make fun of Canada, but it's NOT okay for anyone to make fun of Quebec? F'en double standard.

As if they weren't laughing their asses off when Conan made fun of everything stereotypically Canadian. F'en whining hypocrites.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2004, 07:17 PM

Conan is my favorite talk show host...i think he is funny as hell. however i could care less about that stupid puppet dog...you shouldn't hate conan for that.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

shmerek
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2004, 07:56 PM

I live in Quebec (I am an anglophone) and the only offensive comment is telling them to learn another language, also I don't think it is fair to make fun of people who might not understand what you are saying to them.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 09:58 PM

Conan is the funniest flat out...

Thus I am a big Conan fan..

I have heard many comedians interviewed and there is a consensus that Conan is one of the funniest (in terms of programs)...

These Toronto shows are funny as hell (maybe I am biased as I live in T.O.)...

o well....

Tonight it is gonna be off the hook as Jim Carrey is gonna show up...

the last time Jim was on, he did a bit with Stephen Hawkings that was pretty neat.....

should be fun to watch tonight..
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2004, 12:53 AM

Ya it is great. The audience loves him and there is nothing wrong with that, big stars on the show is also a big draw.

The Scott Thompson bit was funny as hell also.

"If it's broke, you choke."

dtriska
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 01:40 AM

So far, I've only seen the bit where Mike Myers turned Wilfrid Laurier into Spock, but I'll definitely be watching tonight with Jim Carrey.

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2004, 02:57 AM

yeah see, I'm a torontonian and I feel a bit uncomfortable watching these shows.
I love conan normally, but these are a bit over-the-top for my liking.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 14, 2004, 03:14 AM

Are they just airing the shows in Toronto on the NBC timeslot as well? I don't follow the show, just wondering how they air it.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 03:58 AM

yes the same timeslots...

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Feb 14, 2004, 07:29 AM

We live in a world where we are lead to believe it is OK to laugh at others fro any reasons.

TV gives a lot of false credibility to a lot of cr*p. Laughing at Canadians (French, English or of another language), or Americans of Chines or whatever nation or group of people is not funny. We confuse our need for power and control over this world, hoping to rescue our own self-esteem by laughing at the smaller, the defenseless, or the different. The Other always look so dumb as a whole compared to Us the familiar, the known, the understood, the apparently "normal".

I despise these shows of "humor" where infact it is the expression of the most rampant racism/discrimination. Nobody deserves that. And actually, it only shows how ignorant people are.

The joke about Bonhomme Carnaval IS a good one though, as reported by Spliff. But anything else does not deserve attention.

I am a French speaking canadian from Quebec (they're not all from Quebec you see...) and I am living in Toronto.

The separatist issue is such an old one, I wonder why people bother with that anymore; it is and has always been a minority of the population, and their claims merit attention, just like any claims from any cultural group on this planet.

I think Conan O'Brien's producers are just looking for the best way to make a lot of quick cash, and hopefully, make themselves a niche in Toronto until they can reposition themselves somehow in the US.

And they use a crowd's attention for that.

I have been 4 years without a TV and I am feeling very good about it and the more it goes, the better I feel about it.

My 2 cents.
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

quandarry
Feb 14, 2004, 03:04 PM

the whole show should have been triumph insulting the french.

did you notice how most of them stood there kind of stunned

and 'the no sprakenzie english look'? this is how they treat tourists

that speak to them in english. they pretend to not understand.

we understand them and have been hoping they would leave but

they haven't got the guts.

ps: i didn't get any of the canadian small talk moments.
and there was the moose caller, stompin' tom conners and
the red coated mountie...non of which i have ever seen.
well i did see a mountie once that was there for the tourists.
( Last edited by quandarry; Feb 14, 2004 at 03:11 PM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by FeLiZeCaT:
We live in a world where we are lead to believe it is OK to laugh at others fro any reasons.

TV gives a lot of false credibility to a lot of cr*p. Laughing at Canadians (French, English or of another language), or Americans of Chines or whatever nation or group of people is not funny. We confuse our need for power and control over this world, hoping to rescue our own self-esteem by laughing at the smaller, the defenseless, or the different. The Other always look so dumb as a whole compared to Us the familiar, the known, the understood, the apparently "normal".
No offense man, but I think that's overly sensitive, politically correct bs, personally

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2004, 04:19 PM

Conan is da man... I stayed up late to watch him.
Meanwhile, the reception of NBC is very poor here...

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 04:29 PM

This may fall along the lines of a white man saying "Wassup, my niggaz!"

Moderation can be a good thing. It was nonetheless admittedly still very funny to this android. Maybe I would feel differently if I were the butt of the jokes.

Though I doubt so.
I, ASIMO.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
stompin' tom conners
Dude, does the song "Good old hockey game" ring a bell? The guy's a legend!

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2004, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
the whole show should have been triumph insulting the french.
Don't you mean shooting the french?

"If it's broke, you choke."

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 07:54 PM

I'm a big Conan fan and also a french Canadian, I'm not offended by the anti-french Canadians remarks of the show, because I don't see myself as a boring queer with a smelly crotch. I believe this show equaly offends everyone and it was our time. That's OK with me. It was no more rough than anything else Triumph ever said. I think Canadians are offended by Triumph's stunt because the Canadian governement invested close to 1 million dollars for Conan's visit. But mostly it's because they had no idea of who Triump was and what he was capable of.
So the controversy? It's just a stupid little thing... for me to poop on!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 08:25 PM

hey...

no one really mentioned the epic battles between the CN Tower and the Seattle Space Needle...

I thought those bits were hillarious...

The same goes for Conan at the toll collection booth in Niagara, funny ... (childish but funny).....

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
hey...

no one really mentioned the epic battles between the CN Tower and the Seattle Space Needle...

I thought those bits were hillarious...

The same goes for Conan at the toll collection booth in Niagara, funny ... (childish but funny).....
I SO hope these shows show up on Bit Torrent... I need to see them!!

dtriska
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
It was a border crossing.

--

Conan: What's this, sir?

Guy: Some snow and ice.

Conan: Sir, do you think Canada needs more snow and ice?

dtriska
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
I SO hope these shows show up on Bit Torrent... I need to see them!!
The first three are up on SuprNova. Go to TV Shows, and then Other.

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Feb 15, 2004, 12:48 AM

quoted from ital95:

No offense man, but I think that's overly sensitive, politically correct bs, personally.

T'as foutrement raison!

Pi en to� cas, veux veux pas, c� rien qu'un aut' criss de show pour �pais.

To� tu l'as l'affaire man!

;o)

LOL
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
It was a border crossing.

yes...it was at a border crossing, but at the toll collection part (for the bridge), and not the actual border where the customs/border officer is at....

Ratm
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by Rain:
Really, who cares?? Conan's in Canada!

And all it took was a million Canadian to get him there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules