Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > I'm getting tired of half-truth anti-iPhone blogs like this

I'm getting tired of half-truth anti-iPhone blogs like this
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 08:32 PM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 08:37 PM

Verizon would have really crippled the iPhone, that is why Apple went with AT&T. They disabled the Blackberry's internal GPS in order to force customers to use their VZ Navigator, with a monthly charge of course.
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 09:13 PM

The fsf aren't lying about the iPhone. They're just free software zealots. You can't please them anyway.

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 09:20 PM

This point is clearly false:
iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to track you without your knowledge.
The iPhone clearly asks the owner if he/she would like the provide the location to the software.

The other points are simply facts of life that I'd like compared to the likes of Verizon, Sprint, Blackberry and other carriers/phone manufacturers who to date have clearly stonewalled any advancement in software, features, and availability of 3rd party applications to consumers. Forget all this idillic nonsense about DRM and lack of open codecs, as those have been the least of our problems. To date, we've been trying to crack open the wireless nut, and the industry has tried its hardest to keep that nut closed.

The iPhone represents change. Granted, there are some sticky points, but I hardly think taking an all-or-none approach of high-minded idealism will get us anywhere. The only thing it will get you is back to your old pre-iPhone phone, likely some POS.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 10:09 PM

Did you see the crappy piece of junk they are espousing as a better phone?

What a friggin joke. They have absolutely no sense of style (nor substance for that matter).

What a bunch of morons.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 10:14 PM

The iPhone pretty much maintains and extends the anti-freedom (as in libre, not as in free beer) parts of the pre-iPhone status quo... I'm not surprised to see the FSF against it.

The FreeRunner is a joke; all it has is a nice display (3x the areal resolution of the iPhone!).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2008, 03:02 AM

I really couldn't care less about these kinds of articles.

Look, at the end of the day you've enjoyed life with your iPhone. They have fiddled around with whatever cheap POS phone they prefer. Isn't that satisfaction enough? It's like Windows. Who cares if many users don't get it? We get to enjoy OS X and they will continue to deal with all the irrational nonsense Windows gets you into. Whatever. Their problem. Enjoy your quality stuff. End of story.
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 18, 2008 at 10:32 AM. )

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 09:40 AM

I especially don't like the "developer tax". When are people going to realize that digital certs COST MONEY?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2008, 10:30 AM

This point is clearly false:
iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to track you without your knowledge.
The iPhone clearly asks the owner if he/she would like the provide the location to the software.
Not only that, but you can turn off the location services by going to Settings-->General-->Location Services.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I especially don't like the "developer tax". When are people going to realize that digital certs COST MONEY?
Money equal to 30% of the total yearly cash flow through the App Store? Not bloody likely. And anyway, the iPhone costs money as well, so it's not like they'd be losing on the deal. It isn't like Apple doesn't already have a digital cert — the App Store is basically printing money.

And I agree with some of what the FSF is saying, although as usual they're completely off their rocker. I like how they rhetorically ask the question, "Don't you think you're being a little bit dramatic?" Yes, yes you are.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules