Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Good HTML Editor for OS X ?

Good HTML Editor for OS X ?
Lolo from Paris
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2001, 07:55 AM

Apple has removed a lot of great apps which were avaible with Public Beta. HTML Editor is one of them...

Is there a solution to make it run under the final OS X version ?

If not, which HTML Editor do you recommend ?

I just need a text editor, no WYSIWYG but it should support foreign caracters like �, �, � ("é "etc) and have support for some html tags.

thanks

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2001, 09:46 AM

Have you tried BBEdit for Mac OS X?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2001, 09:59 AM

Pepper's nice too. And I can't remember if Tex-Edit has been ported yet, but it's good.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Lolo from Paris  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2001, 11:55 AM

I'm looking for a free app, BBedit is not. :-(

Currently I'm using ProjectBuilder to create .php/.htm files but that's not great for that ;-)

SYN
Senior User
Jun 25, 2001, 12:40 PM

essaie BBEdit lite, c'est gratuit
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=604
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Lolo from Paris  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2001, 01:15 PM

Merci ;-)

BBEdit lite c'est tr�s bien mais j'ai l'impression que �a ne permet pas d'inclure rapidement des tags html...Ca sert uniquement comme notepad.

honeydew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2001, 01:36 PM

I use OmniWeb's source editor: File -> New Source Document (shift-cmd-N). It is very basic, but it gets the job done. I like its ability to preview pages without saving, and the syntax coloring is outstanding.

xspriter
Jun 25, 2001, 02:44 PM

I know you said you need something free, but i can't recommend BBEdit enough. I run multiple websites relying on PHP/MySQL using nothing but this program. There is a free "lite" version, but I recommend buying it. You'll be glad you did, BBEdit is well worth the money.
( Last edited by xspriter; Apr 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM. )

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jun 25, 2001, 04:30 PM

here we go again... few dozen more posts, and it will be two guys debating vi vs. emacs.

...neither of which I'd recommend.

I prefer jEdit. It's like an open source, cross platform bbedit... and there has to be a plug-in for anything anyone could want.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jun 25, 2001, 07:26 PM

jEdit permet d'inclure des tags html, mais je ne sais pas si ca en permet rapidement. Le prix est bien aussi ... $0. =)

La seule probl�me est que jEdit travaille tr�s lentement parce que c'est une application Java.

Did that make any sense? My French stinks, but thought I'd give it a shot.

God, never going to try that again!

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: gorgonzola ]
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jun 25, 2001, 09:52 PM

It's useable on a 500 mhz iBook (as it was on a 477 mhz iBook)... it wastrop lentement on a 233 mhz powerbook, I will admit... the customization features make it one of my favorite apps.

SYN
Senior User
Jun 26, 2001, 05:46 AM

wow, you speak french g?

pretty good too
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Lolo from Paris  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2001, 07:25 AM

thanks guys :-)

I've tried Jedit but it's pretty slow and it's not user friendly but it has great features.

BBEdit is great but I don't want a shareware because I had problems with credit card number over the net so I don't want to have to pay over the Net...

BBEdit lite is cool, it has nice features but none html tags etc. By the way it's better than Apple text edit for coding.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna cut and paste html tags until GoLive or Dreamweaver are os x compatible (no classic thanks) ;-)

foamy
Senior User
Jun 26, 2001, 04:06 PM

Try the editor in Fizzilla. I just checked it out and it looks pretty robust. WYSIWYG, HTML, funny combination of WYSIWYG and Tags...

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2001, 05:40 AM

OmniWeb has a built in HTML editor, I think. But of course I will force BBEdit down someone's throat whenever I get the chance.

Not to mention with BBEdit, you have quite a few options. It runs in Classic, OS X. It has a free version and a full featured version that is well worth the money. Sure you may pay $100.00 new, but Barebones will let you upgrade from the lite version for 79.00. After you buy it, major revisions are only $39.00. Not to mention Barebones gave registered users of version 6 a free upgrade to the Carbon version. How can you not love Barebones?

Sorry, I tend to get all tingly inside when I talk about BBEdit

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 06:11 PM

One word: pico. You're already got it on your system. Fire up terminal.app and type pico. Voila, a good and simple text editor. Pico is pine's e-mail writing component but works well for all of your ASCII editing needs. Of course it isn't emacs or vi and hardcore Unix geeks give you guff about using it (and yes I know how to use emacs and vi, very well in fact) but that doesn't stop me from writing HTML, perl, Java, and C++ in it. The learning curve for pico is very shallow and the most needed commands are right on the main panel. If you want HTML validation try the W3C's HTML validator. They host both an HTML validator as well as a CSS validator. Which should cover most of your non-scripting needs.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jun 30, 2001, 06:33 PM

I told you so... vi and emacs... well, pico, anyway.

At the very least, you need to tell Mac users these programs don't have things most people expect -- like being able to move the cursor with the mouse, or type command-s to save -- don't exist in terminal-based editors. These aren't typical Mac programs at all. More like something you'd expect from a punch-card machine.

Personally, I think command line apps make SimpleText look like a full on Office suite. But to each his own.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jul 1, 2001, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by SYN:
<STRONG>wow, you speak french g?

pretty good too </STRONG>
So it was right after all!

And emacs isn't half bad for HTML, it's very good for C/C++ or something like that, but there's better stuff for HTML that you can get. Besides you have to learn all new key bindings.

&lt;edit&gt;

Thought I'd give an example of the pros/cons of emacs. If you're writing C code, emacs does all the auto-indention, brace-checking, etc. of course. However, it also allows you to compile the program within emacs, dynamically interact with the debugger (linked to the Grand Unified Debugger), and other power features. The search/replace are second to none, you can launch interactive shells, the undo/redo (called kill cycle, I believe) are extremely powerful tools, and some of the commands it have just defy description (really, though, they're not necessarily amazing, just hard to describe). Ultimately, emacs is the one programming environment you really need if you're writing command line C code. It lets you have multiple buffers and multiple files open, and you can split windows into different buffers (or the same buffer, only different positions), or the two windows can be two different buffers looking at two different files. It's very powerful, and once you get used to the key bindings, much faster than a GUI programming environment (at least for me). As you can tell, I'm fond of emacs.

For HTML, however, it's not really very useful because in HTML, things like syntax coloring, automatic insertion of HTML tags, etc are the useful features, and it doesn't offer those. Its HTML mode does do indentation and the like (and I'm fairly sure it has something built in to let you preview the code in the specified browser *within* emacs, but then again it would be a UNIX browser, not a GUI one).

I suppose I'm just saying don't insult emacs, but don't use it for HTML either.

BBEdit is the way to go.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: gorgonzola ]
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2001, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
<STRONG>One word: pico.</STRONG>
hehe... hell yah! Before bbedit lite came out, I was all about the pico... still use it quite a bit in fact. just use bbedit when i have to do more complex editing (eg, major revisions of php and html files.. drag and drop editing etc). Pico's great! and you cant beat the price!
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Kickaha
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2001, 11:51 PM

Okay, these are all relatively good text editors, but can anyone recommend a replacement for *HTMLEdit*, the app that shipped with MacOS X up until the final release?

It was WYSIWYG. None of these others are, to the best of my knowledge.

It wasn't a fantastic editor for complex pages or sites, but for simple quick pages I haven't found anything for X that is better than it was. (Of course, it was buggy as all get out, and had a bad tendency to crash on save, taking your edits to the bit bucket with it, but it was *still* faster for medium complexity markup than doing it by hand, and often times you could get pretty clean results with it to be hand tweaked later. (Much better than you get from Office, that's for sure. )

(And just for the record, emacs is the king. )

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jul 3, 2001, 12:14 AM

There are no WYSIWYG apps yet. You have to use Classic or just wait until Macromedia and Adobe get their stuff out.

Kickaha
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2001, 01:34 AM

See, that's a shame.

A free, pretty good HTML WYSIWYG editor in Cocoa that needs to be replaced by a commercial Classic app.

Oh well.

<Me>
Jul 3, 2001, 11:00 PM

Is no one listening?

First off, if you're looking for a text editor, I think the ground is well covered:

Not free: BBEdit
Free: vi, emacs, joe, pico, etc.

But I think the original poster is looking for a WYSIWYG HTML editor. There *IS* one and it's great and it's already been mentioned but since people are still asking I'll repeat it:

Mozilla.

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/re...cosx-0.9.2.sit

People forget that for your 10MB you get not only a browser but

HTML EDITOR
IRC CHAT
EMAIL CLIENT
USENET NEWS CLIENT
ADDRESS BOOK
DOCUMENTATION

+ test pages, two themes, and a "viewer.app" which is a sample embedded gecko application.

Anyway, it's free it's good... so use it, test it and if you need an aqua theme to replace modern or classic, check out http://www.simweb.net/eric/projects/Aqua

One last tip to anyone who's running it for the first time in a while--

If running in OS 9 -- go to your Preferences folder and delete Mozilla Preferences and Mozilla Registry files. Then chuck the Mozilla folder in your Documents folder.

If running OS X -- get rid of /users/yourname/Documents/Mozilla (the folder) and also /users/yourname/Library/Preferences/Mozilla Registry that way you'll have a clean machine when you start with no weird files from earlier installs.

[gzl: fixed link]

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: gorgonzola ]

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2001, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Lolo from Paris:

BBEdit is great but I don't want a shareware because I had problems with credit card number over the net so I don't want to have to pay over the Net...
You can fax the order and still download of the net. I faxed because it was an upgrade and asked if I could download it and they emailed me a username/password to get it from.

Michael

[email protected]
Senior User
Jul 7, 2001, 01:13 AM

i use vi and bbedit for updates and real work all the frikkin' time, but when i'm musing design, i go right to golive, classic or not. it works 'rapid vis' style.

Forum Links
Forum Rules