Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Symbolic links and deep freeze

Symbolic links and deep freeze
vegas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2009, 11:47 PM

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, and I was hoping I might find some assistance here.

I have deep freeze on my system. (http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp) I have a separate partition that is not frozen, and I put my user/library/mail and user/library/preferences/com.apple.mail.plist in that partiton. Then, I used a symbolic link to the original location so that my user data will retain over restarts. This is the method which is recommended directly from Faronics mac support. I always used this method for about 2 years, but started having problems this week when I reinstalled my system. The mail folder is linked and retains, but the plist regenerates during restarts and breaks the symbolic link.

I notice that my mail works ok, but I lose any setting that are created after the system is frozen. In the past, I could change settings and they would retain.

Faronics recommended to link the entire preferences folder if the plist wouldn't stick. However, that kind of negates the reason for using deep freeze in the first place.

Does anyone have experience using either deep freeze, or symbolic links in this manner? Any help would really be appreciated, I am really getting frustrated!

Oh! Faronics mac dept also recommended trying a hard link. I tried using the command
ln /source /target
but it didn't seem to work, it didn't create anything. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks for the help!

vegas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2009, 12:54 AM

I did a little more testing, I have found that my mail works through restarts. The only problem I have is that I can't change any settings. So, it appears that the symbolic link works, but only one way. I mean, it reads the original file, but can't make any changes to it. Does that make any sense?

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2009, 12:57 AM

I can't offer any help, but I am curious why you have Deep Freeze on your system, as it sounds like it's your own computer.

vegas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2009, 01:09 AM

This is my business computer, but I use it for personal use too. So, it's kind of a personal computer, but only part time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules