Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LaCie Tough drive aint so tough after all

LaCie Tough drive aint so tough after all
introducingimacs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2008, 03:40 PM

I have borrowed this 120gb lacie tough drive that I expected would be "tough" so i put it in my backpack while travelling.
The case is dented all over (it's really thin material) and when I start it it just hums but won't make enough rpm to show on the desktop (macbook 2/2)
I took off the case which is held together by some clips on the sides and I see no damage.

This sucks. It's got many backups on it.

"Introducing iMacs to the developing world"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2008, 07:41 PM

Sounds pretty typical for LaCie; I bet you paid a pretty penny for it too.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 07:53 PM

FWIW, I have eight LaCie drives (six d2, one Porsche, and one Neil Poulton - all of them 3.5" drives), and the only trouble i've had (apart from confusion caused by the fact that the one Porsche design drive I have needs to be dis-/reconnected after powering down because the bridge isn't switched off by the power switch) is two power supplies dying over the years, both of which were promptly replaced by LaCie.

My d2 drives are rock-solid, as are the dozen or so in use by various colleagues and friends (except for one which a friend managed to fry by connecting the wrong power supply. Oh.).

Oddly, most of the laptop hard drives I've seen die did so without the laptop being dented out of shape.

And honestly, if you're managing to dent the tough drive case, it's kind of silly to expect a mechanical hard drive inside there to take that sort of handling, *regardless* of padding.

Shock-proofing is rubber and physics, not magic.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Sounds pretty typical for LaCie; I bet you paid a pretty penny for it too.

introducingimacs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2008, 02:41 PM

I disagree, Tough means solid, and I did nothing extraordinary with the case : The outer casing is as thin as paper. If tough just means "orange rubber around" LaCie needs to check their marketing division.

for comparison : The Olympus 770Mju is a tough camera.

"Introducing iMacs to the developing world"

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2008, 03:17 PM

Hard drives are certainly more sensitive than a digital camera. If it were a flash-based HD, that'd stand a better chance of course. I don't think I buy into any manufacturers claims of their external drive being "tough", regardless of some orange rubber coating along the edges.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules