Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > MBP Hard Drive Swap - Question

MBP Hard Drive Swap - Question
wrambro
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2008, 05:35 PM

Hey all,

So I ordered a 250 gig Hitachi HDD to replace my 100 gig currently in my MBP. I feel comfortable with the actual surgery itself, but I do have a question about cloning my current drive to the new drive.

I would like to put the new drive in as an exact clone of the current drive. My plan is to put the new drive into an external enclosure, use disk utility to format the new disk and "Restore" my current disk to the new one, and then swap them out. Basically I'm looking for verification that this should work. I do have a Time Machine backup and will use that if necessary, but I've read about certain minor problems after restoring (having to re-index drive and mail, etc) and would like to avoid those along with other potential problems.

So what do you guys think? Will this work? Is it even worth trying, or should I just go with Time Machine?

EDIT: Oops, posted in the wrong forum. Could one of the mods move this to the Mac Notebooks forum??
( Last edited by wrambro; Aug 26, 2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong forum)

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 26, 2008, 06:00 PM

I've used the same procedure a couple times with success. The only difference is I put the old drive in the enclosure and put the new one in the laptop, then restored from the external drive.

wrambro  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2008, 07:54 PM

So theoretically, I should be able to do it my way, right??

The only reason I'm doing it that way is so I have less downtime with my computer

And also, it should be bootable, right?? I can't test it because I'm using a USB enclosure. I don't know why it wouldn't be, but I just don't want to run into any surprises

wrambro  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2008, 11:42 PM

Well I'm happy to report that my hard drive swap was successful. I still had to reindex the hard drive, but at this point, everything seems as though I had the original drive in there. I'll let you know if I come across anything else that changed.

By the way, when I "restored" to the new drive, it ended with about 4 gigs less than what was used on the old drive. I figured 2 may have come from the dump file from the RAM, but not sure what the other 2 were. Any thoughts??

Forum Links
Forum Rules