Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > G3-Radeon-OSX

G3-Radeon-OSX
sumsugar
Dec 14, 2001, 10:20 PM

I know that OSX 10.1 supports the radeon card but i was wondering if there was a way to determine the actual performance/boost I am receiving short of removing the card to see the difference.

BTW: Beige G3DT/300 upgraded to G4/500 Encore ZIF
512MB Ram
30 Gig
PCI Radeon

Enough with the damn cookies kids!
MD Dual 1 Gigger with iBook 600 at the ready...

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Dec 14, 2001, 10:31 PM

move the driver?

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2001, 01:57 AM

Performance boost would be extremely large from 3D stuff. Radeon rocks 3d.

2d would benefit as well because on the beige g3 running in 16-bit color is optimal when using built-in graphics. the radeon allows for optimal performance in 32-bit.

keep the radeon dude

derekn
Senior User
Dec 15, 2001, 03:01 AM

Hook a second monitor to your G3s internal video port. LOL I have my system running like that with a Radeon PCI and man is the built in TERRIBLE. LOL Even at millions, the colors just aren't as rich.

You are getting PLENTY of performance though, don't worry. Alice runs great in X, Voyager Elite Force. Trust me, compared to the built in video, the Radeon is LEAPS ahead in 2D and 3D.

Radman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2001, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by derekn:
<STRONG>Hook a second monitor to your G3s internal video port. LOL I have my system running like that with a Radeon PCI and man is the built in TERRIBLE. LOL Even at millions, the colors just aren't as rich.

You are getting PLENTY of performance though, don't worry. Alice runs great in X, Voyager Elite Force. Trust me, compared to the built in video, the Radeon is LEAPS ahead in 2D and 3D.</STRONG>
Anyone know if ATI ever plans on releasing a new ROM updater for the PCI Radeon? The last one - which was buggy - was dated 10/1/01.

Forum Links
Forum Rules