Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac education share?

Mac education share?
dogmatix_ncc1701
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2006, 12:50 PM

hi guys,

anyone have an idea of the % of Mac shipments that end up in the education sector? this info would help me with a course project.

thanks!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 02:12 PM

That would vary greatly depending on the country, unless you mean units in total worldwide. In any event, I'm not sure. Your best bet is to try and Google it.

I remember seeing news reports about Apple's education market share. I'd Google for those and see if any mention how many were shipped to schools, then you can divide that by the total U.S. units sold and figure out (at least for the U.S.) how much is sold to education.

I know I've seen reports on U.K.'s educational market share because Apple still holds the majority of the market there. I think they lost it to Dell in the U.S. recently.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2006, 02:21 PM

In the US in 2000 it was about 20%, dropping to about 15% in 2002 and holding at 15% in 2004. I haven't seen any figures for 2005 or 2006.

dtriska
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 07:53 PM

Well, page 13 of Apple's 2005 10-K states that over 12% of net sales were through its US education channel. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide a product breakdown of its education sales, so you can't tell how much is software, Macs, iPods, etc.

The best idea, as olePigeon suggests, is to find Apple's education market share, and then use the unit sales by operating segment to find the number of Macs. Note that, if you want US numbers, Apple doesn't provide US unit sales, but it does provide unit sales for the Americas. I imagine you can estimate the US unit sales by using Apple's US vs. non-US sales numbers, but I don't know if Apple breaks that down by division or product either, so it probably reflects iPod sales, etc.

And, if you want Apple's total education sales, well, you'll either have to find worldwide education market share to use with total units sold, or find an overall education sales figure/breakdown somewhere in Apple's report, which I doubt it provides.

Forum Links
Forum Rules