Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme Help

Airport Extreme Help
mjjunior16
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 06:12 AM

Well, we all know how there are "hot spots", correct? Well I have a local starbucks and they have T Mobile Wireless Broadband Access or whatever you want to call it in/around their little cafe. So my question is, is all I do have an airport extreme card in my PB and simply walk in, sit down, and click on safari and i am on the internet? I would try it if I had my 12" PB already but I don't. I am just wondering if thats all there is to gettin on the net at starbucks or any hot spot for that matter.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 08:59 AM

I would assume so, if not, you just have to secect something from the airport menu to scan for a connection. Though I think its automagicly.

-Owl

Octo
Jan 28, 2003, 09:25 AM

Not quite, T-Mobile is trying to make money, so you have to log into their system before you get online. I haven't actually used their system, but I recently completed a business case for a completing service, so I researched their system. If I remember correctly I think that service is $29.99 US a month for access in one city with a 500MB transfer limit, for $49.99 you can have national coverage.

What you might be able to find are open access points where Joe Blow has set up his access point to allow any body to connect to it. People do this either to share their bandwidth or just because they don't know how to setup the access points. To find these all you have to do is select one of the available access point from within the Airport tab in the network preferences. If it asks you for a password, either you are on a pay system, or the owner has setup some security.

Octo

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 09:26 AM

Thats basically it... but when you try to load a page it'll bring up a nice subscription window so you can PAY for that access. wheeeee!

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 09:27 AM

....speaking of which - MAN when the hell is T-Mobile gonna follow Sprint and offer an UNLIMITED GPRS data option??! GRRR! I wanna use my Bluetooth phone, with GPRS, and not worry about hittin my 10MB limit!

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 09:35 AM

I forgot how much it costs, but there's a preplay plan if you don't want to do the monthly plan. 802.11 is far faster than my t68i; when I can find a Starbucks, that is.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2003, 12:26 PM

Networking, not specifically powerbook.

Moving.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules