Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti/400 DVD drive died

Ti/400 DVD drive died
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2003, 03:02 PM

I have a Ti/400 with a DVD-ROM drive. It's been getting progressively worse over the past few weeks.

It started when I tried to play a new DVD. Rather than opening the DVD Player as it usually does, the drive made some funny noises and the disc never mounted. After about two minutes, it ejected the disc, having never shown anything onscreen.

I inspected the DVD and found out that it was defective (it looked like a bad burn). So I tried again with another disc I knew to be good. It showed the same problems. A third disc, however, worked properly.

Over the next few weeks, I started seeing this problem with more and more discs (including the one that worked when I tried it that first time). Eventually, CD-ROM discs stopped working too. Now it's at the point where no disc works at all on the OSX side, the OS9 side, or even just attempting to boot. The drive doesn't make funny noises anymore, but the rest is the same: the drive spins up, spins down, and after about two minutes the disc ejects without ever having mounted.

Is the drive completely totaled? I don't know if it's safe to run those DVD drive cleaning kits with a slot-loading drive, so I haven't tried that route yet (if it does work, then are there any specific kits I should look for or avoid?) Anything else I can try? Or am I going to have to send this one in?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 08:00 PM

you can get a DVD-R for it now for about $500, and a CD-RW for about $300... might be a good investment if you're gonna keep it a while..
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I have a Ti/400 with a DVD-ROM drive. It's been getting progressively worse over the past few weeks.

It started when I tried to play a new DVD. Rather than opening the DVD Player as it usually does, the drive made some funny noises and the disc never mounted. After about two minutes, it ejected the disc, having never shown anything onscreen.

I inspected the DVD and found out that it was defective (it looked like a bad burn). So I tried again with another disc I knew to be good. It showed the same problems. A third disc, however, worked properly.

Over the next few weeks, I started seeing this problem with more and more discs (including the one that worked when I tried it that first time). Eventually, CD-ROM discs stopped working too. Now it's at the point where no disc works at all on the OSX side, the OS9 side, or even just attempting to boot. The drive doesn't make funny noises anymore, but the rest is the same: the drive spins up, spins down, and after about two minutes the disc ejects without ever having mounted.

Is the drive completely totaled? I don't know if it's safe to run those DVD drive cleaning kits with a slot-loading drive, so I haven't tried that route yet (if it does work, then are there any specific kits I should look for or avoid?) Anything else I can try? Or am I going to have to send this one in?
If you have played quite a few DVDs in your 400MHz Ti then the optical lens is most likely very dirty. The best way to clean it is to open the Ti and wipe the lens with alcohol and a Q-tip. You could try a DVD cleaning disk but I have had much better luck with the first method.

mozart11
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2003, 08:43 PM

This is what I did:

My 400 works great. No reason to upgrade just yet.

http://store.powerbook1.com/ibcdcomdrivu.html

mozart11
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2003, 08:45 PM

This is what I did:
<http://store.powerbook1.com/ibcdcomdrivu.html>

http://store.powerbook1.com/ibcdcomdrivu.html

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by mozart11:
This is what I did:
<http://store.powerbook1.com/ibcdcomdrivu.html>
That link goes to iBook drives, but TiBook drives.

I opened up my Ti. I couldn't get at the lense to clean it, but I found a small black cube of some kind of rubbery material. It was floating around loose inside the drive bay, so I removed that. The drive seems to be working now, though I'll have to test it with some more discs before I'm really ready to give it a clean bill of health.

The cube had some kind of sticky glue stuff on one side, so I'm guessing it had some kind of function, though I can't figure out what it would be. It's too big to fit through the DVD slot, so I don't think anyone stuck it in there or anything. It must have fallen off or something.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

euphras
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by skyman:
"If you have played quite a few DVDs in your 400MHz Ti then the optical lens is most likely very dirty. The best way to clean it is to open the Ti and wipe the lens with alcohol and a Q-tip. You could try a DVD cleaning disk but I have had much better luck with the first method."

Could you please elaborate on this... i have some kinda same symptoms as described by Millennium and i want to get rid of these. Does it affect warranty??

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
Originally posted by skyman:
"If you have played quite a few DVDs in your 400MHz Ti then the optical lens is most likely very dirty. The best way to clean it is to open the Ti and wipe the lens with alcohol and a Q-tip. You could try a DVD cleaning disk but I have had much better luck with the first method."

Could you please elaborate on this... i have some kinda same symptoms as described by Millennium and i want to get rid of these. Does it affect warranty??

Pat
Every time you put a DVD or CD in you are exposing the drive to dust, dirt and the oil from your skin. When the disk is spinning it is slinging the dust etc all over the inside of the drive. The more you use the drive the dirtier it gets. The laser lens is very susceptible to this "crap". Even the smallest amount can defuse the laser beam and cause read/write errors.

Does opening your Ti to clean the drive void your warrantee? I do not have the answer to that question.

Forum Links
Forum Rules