Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ticking hard drive new after OSX.2.4?

ticking hard drive new after OSX.2.4?
waterbuck
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2003, 03:02 AM

Hi
I have a new problem that is cropping up on the apple.com user discussion groups too (http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/4)

It is a ticking sound of my hardrive every single second. It occurs without my doing anything. When I actually launch a program of course, this tick-tick-tick is interrupted by more intensive hard drive access activity. Once I get back to just reading a document or webpage however, it is there: tick tick tick pretty much once a second like a dripping faucet.

Anything I can do?

luvaboi217
Mar 7, 2003, 12:39 PM

I have the exact same problem, but haven't found a way to get rid of it. Is there a way to see a list of all the programs running? I also installed a HP scanjet around the same time that i got 10.2.4. Some people said they had the same problem after installing the hp scanjet. Hmmm, I hope someone can find a fix. Because it is MIGHTY aggrivating!

luvaboi217
Mar 7, 2003, 12:47 PM

I just got rid of the ticking two minutes after my post. I thought I uninstalled the hp software, but i went searching around and i found the uninstall program on in my applications folder, and ran it. No more ticking now. Good luck with your problem.

waterbuck  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2003, 12:49 PM

Hi-
I eventually determined that it was my recently installed HP ScanJet software that did the damage. I uninstalled ScanJet software, and the ticking stopped. I reinstalled ScanJet software and the ticking restarted. I uninstalled it again, and the ticking stopped.

I was only borrowing a scanner. At this point I have concluded one should not buy the HP varieties given this problem.

luvaboi217
Mar 7, 2003, 09:15 PM

yeh, I'm not going to buy an Hp scanjet ever again. It was a pain to even try to get it to turn on. Mine was defective to start with. It wouldn't even do the test to see if it was working. The plug or something must have been messed up. And then the trouble you had to do, plug it, unplug it, install software, restart, unplug. So damn confusing. I then bought a canon lide 30 and it was easy and amazing to get started. And its only one plug, the usb provides power. It's also much slimmer and more aestetically pleasing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules