Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should battery be removed when using AC adaptor?

Should battery be removed when using AC adaptor?
Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 02:52 PM

A friend of mine has a Powerbook G4 (600 Mhz) and he never removes the battery, even when the laptop is using the AC adaptor (which is most of the time).

Does this have any effect on the battery? Should the battery be removed from laptops when using the AC adaptor?

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
A friend of mine has a Powerbook G4 (600 Mhz) and he never removes the battery, even when the laptop is using the AC adaptor (which is most of the time).

Does this have any effect on the battery? Should the battery be removed from laptops when using the AC adaptor?
i rem'd i made a poll on asking ppl if they had their battery in while using the AC Adapter. most ppl said they did or their laptop was always on battery until they had to charge it up again.

i use the adapter most & i dont have any problems at all.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 03:24 PM

Use the Book always with battery installed, even when you�re plugged to AC. When there�s accidental power failure, you loose all your non-saved data. The battery life isn�t affected.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 03:26 AM

Keep the battery in, always.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

TiSteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2003, 03:36 AM

Also rememeber reading (at least with the TiSD), that the processor steps down when using the PowerBook on AC without a battery installed.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2003, 10:49 AM

A timely question, as MacFixIt posted this yesterday:

"In our on-going coverage of the Mac OS X 10.2.4 portable battery drain issue (see articles 1, 2 and 3), we have found that while totally draining a lithium ion battery may help in some cases to reset the time-remaining indicator, doing so regularly may actually damage your battery.

Also, lithium ion batteries do not need to be trickle charged and will in fact deteriorate slightly, if they are continuously charged. Because of that, it makes sense to pull the battery when it's full.

Third, the life expectancy of a lithium ion battery is greatly increased, if it's never fully discharged. One reader says that shallow discharges can increase the life of a battery to well beyond 10,000 charge cycles."

I'd never heard this about Li-ion batteries before. Anyone else have useful tips about extending battery life?

iBorg

ima_pseudonym
Mar 14, 2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:

"Also, lithium ion batteries do not need to be trickle charged and will in fact deteriorate slightly, if they are continuously charged. Because of that, it makes sense to pull the battery when it's full."
But keep in mind that tibooks (at least the more recent ones) are designed to avoid trickle charging - that is why even when plugged in the battery drains down from 100% to about 95% before it starts recharging.

webb3201
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 11:45 AM

I was under the impression the powermanager would ensure that once charged, the battery would no longer charge while plugged in, thus making removal not necessary.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by iBorg:

"In our on-going coverage of the Mac OS X 10.2.4 portable battery drain issue (see articles 1, 2 and 3), we have found that while totally draining a lithium ion battery may help in some cases to reset the time-remaining indicator, doing so regularly may actually damage your battery.

Also, lithium ion batteries do not need to be trickle charged and will in fact deteriorate slightly, if they are continuously charged. Because of that, it makes sense to pull the battery when it's full.

Third, the life expectancy of a lithium ion battery is greatly increased, if it's never fully discharged. One reader says that shallow discharges can increase the life of a battery to well beyond 10,000 charge cycles."

I'd never heard this about Li-ion batteries before. Anyone else have useful tips about extending battery life?

iBorg
Wait, so this basically goes *against* leaving the battery in...hmm, anyone believe this to be true? Surely they wouldn't design a battery that would perform worse if you leave it in while plugged into the wall, eh? I'm very interested in an answer to this post as well, as a large majority of the time my 17" PB will be plugged into the wall.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

dialo
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 06:55 PM

It's just a stupid battery.

Anyway, it takes about a year of daily combined battery/ac use (with the battery always in and the computer always on or sleeping, and always on AC when possible) before the battery life is shortened too much to make it through a 2 1/2 hour class with reduced processor. What do I do, buy a new battery and keep the old one in my bag charged for extra back-up.

$120/year new battery charge for a $3000 G4 that goes anywhere I want doesn't seem that bad to me.

But what do I know? Hell, going through all of the trouble of removing the battery every 15 minutes might be worth it, but probably not.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2003, 11:09 PM

Keep the battery in the PowerBook. Batteries, like the computer they serve, are meant to be used.

Karim
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 01:46 AM

Imagine if we all had to pop out the batteries from our cordless phones, cell phones, videocameras etc. when we weren't using them.

Keep your battery in your computer. The trickle charging issue is a 1980's to early-mid 1990's problem that has gone away in modern products.

Worst case, buy a new battery every year to maintain 100% usuability time or every two years for 80% etc..

dialo
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 11:56 AM

FYI: according to x-charge, a battery monitoring application, my battery stops charging when it hits 100%. Interestingly, if I plug into AC when the battery is above 95% or 96%, it doesn't even bother to charge it.

So the power manager looks like it recognizes when the battery is charged and doesn't keep pumping juice into it.

Leave the battery in.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 01:53 PM

Also, with the TiBooks if you remove the battery you end up removing one of the computers feet. Causes a slight wobble.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
Use the Book always with battery installed, even when you�re plugged to AC. When there�s accidental power failure, you loose all your non-saved data. The battery life isn�t affected.
I once unplugged the AC adapter in OS 9, having forgotten that I had removed the battery.

The drive was hosed. It was unbootable except via Firewire. Trying to select the alternate OS etc. didn't work. I had to do a complete reformat.

Interestingly, ALL my OS 9 and OS X apps on the primary partition and ALL my data on the secondary partition were intact and completely accessible via target mode. I guess only the boot sectors or whatever were hosed. (The interesting part is I don't even have another Mac. I used my Windows machine with MacDrive to access the TiBook via target mode.)

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 06:44 PM

I take mine out, I use my Ti800 primarily as a desktop replacement.

Plus the rubber legs are on the chassis not on the battery itself.
( Last edited by ae86_16v; Mar 18, 2003 at 05:09 PM. )

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
I take mine out, I use my Ti800 primarily as a desktop replacement.

Plus the rubber legs are on the chassis not on the battery itself. .

Forum Links
Forum Rules