Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > LPs to CDs: Toast 5 Titanium or Peak?

LPs to CDs: Toast 5 Titanium or Peak?
Stuncle Eve
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 11:49 PM

I have a 12" iBook (800 Mhz, 640 Mb RAM) and a whole stack of vinyl that I want to burn to CDs. What's the best software to use for this? I've downloaded the trial version of Peak 3.2, but I can't seem to get it to work. (I think the pdf tutorial is for Classic, not OSX, because the dialog boxes I get don't look like the ones in the tutorial. Hmm.)

What about the Griffin iMic? Good, bad, or just unnecessary?

Thanks.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 11:17 AM

stuncle - I see that you haven't gotten any responses, so I'll chip in even though I haven't used Peak or iMic. I've got Toast and the included vinyl conversion application (called CD Spin Doctor) works well and is pretty full-featured. They even include a stereo RCA-to-miniplug cable to connect your receiver/amp to the Mac audio input. Of course, Toast has other nice features.

I've heard that iMic works well also, and some people believe that using USB reduces noise. Haven't heard how well their new software (Final Cut?) works, but an advantage of it (if you're low on desk space) is that you can hook your turntable directly to your Mac.

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
stuncle - I see that you haven't gotten any responses, so I'll chip in even though I haven't used Peak or iMic. I've got Toast and the included vinyl conversion application (called CD Spin Doctor) works well and is pretty full-featured. They even include a stereo RCA-to-miniplug cable to connect your receiver/amp to the Mac audio input. Of course, Toast has other nice features.

I've heard that iMic works well also, and some people believe that using USB reduces noise. Haven't heard how well their new software (Final Cut?) works, but an advantage of it (if you're low on desk space) is that you can hook your turntable directly to your Mac.
Thanks, zigzag - I did get a couple of replies to the same post in the Software forum, plus some input from the local Apple dealer, who actually dissuaded me from buying Toast (!), & suggested that the iMic & its software (Final Vinyl) will do the trick.

I have heard that Spin Doctor is good for cleaning up pops & scratches - I think most of my LPs are in pretty good shape, so I may not need it, but it's good to know that it works.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2003, 04:53 AM

I've converted about fifty LPs to digital. I've used Toast/Spin Doctor, Peak, and tried Final Vinyl.

I wasn't impressed at all by Final Vinyl. It seemed buggy and just didn't seem to work right for me. YMMV.

My suggestion, no matter what program you use to record, is to make sure you've got decent equipment on the hardware end. Use a good preamp (don't plug directly into an iMic - while it will work, the iMic isn't the greatest preamp). Also, keep your cables as short as possible, make sure the turntable's grounded, and set your levels correctly.

Like I say, I've used both Toast/Spin Doctor, and Peak. Spin Doctor does some cool stuff - you can make a recording and it automatically splits up the tracks. Of course, it's dependent on there being some silence in between tracks, and no real quiet passages in the music. If you have to cut tracks apart manually in Spin Doctor, the best you'll get is an approximation. I use Spin Doctor when I have an LP that I know the track splitting algorithm will do a good job with - two to five second gaps between tracks, no silent passages, etc.

Peak is what I use for most of the albums I digitize. It has nice accurate VU meters (good for getting levels set perfectly) and is really good for splitting tracks accurately. It allows the control necessary for making copies of concept albums with no gaps between tracks.

As far as noise filtering goes, I've always preferred a bit of crackle to a track with some kind of noise reduction applied. In order to get the noise filters in Spin Doctor to do much, it kills the high frequencies, and if you bump it up too high, it makes it sound like its underwater.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2003, 04:35 PM

ibookuser - thanks for the info. Do you use the full version of Peak, or do you use PeakLE? Is there any way to get PeakLE for less than $100, i.e. packaged with some other software?

I agree with you about LP noise - I'd rather keep it than process out all the highs. Besides, for those of us who grew up with LPs, the noise adds a certain nostalgic charm.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2003, 08:06 AM

Try:

http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

Fully functional 14-day trial version.
( Last edited by scottiB; Apr 27, 2003 at 08:11 AM. )
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules