Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DDR SDRAM ???

DDR SDRAM ???
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 09:34 PM

Interested to know if anyone has any idea on how much this DDR SDRAM is/will be for the G5 ?

Also when Apple refers to other optical storage devices what are they referring to ?

There seems to unfamiliar looking plug holes on the back of the new tower or am I imagining it ?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 09:38 PM

The "new" DDR RAM on the G5's shouldn't be terribly expensive. PC's have been using this speed DDR RAM for quite sometime, so it's not something new to the market which should keep 3rd-party RAM prices MUCH lower than Apple RAM prices.

Optical Storage Devices are simply internal CD-RW's, DVD-R/RW's, *or* optionally purchasable EXTERNAL burners which are optical drives that can read/write data to a blank disc.

Not quite sure what you mean, but it's most likely the optical audio inputs/outputs that are new to Macs...these small circles have been on PC's for years, but true optical digital audio has finally arrived on the G5's.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

pcd2k  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 11:12 AM

well thanks but is a gig ram stick about 500 bucks ?
is DDR RAM the same as DDR SDRAM ?

I thought that there were soon to arrive another type of optical device
ie 3d holographic ( I may be dreaming this one up though)

I kinda like the 8 gig of ram this means that those graphic renders 3d, stereo et al will be able to be written directly into the ram ?

Is it a stretch of the imagination that we can expect too see in the near future an expontiate blowout of ram in computers ?

One of the most necesssary elements of the computer ( the harddrive ) is not a direct part of the motherboard, this has always concerned my thoughts on the working of computers.
If and when the harddrive goes this makes the computer an obolete object until of course you get another drive.

But its this notion of a useful but obsolete object that is amusing in reference to our notion of the smooth and sophisticated technologique society ?

I may be posing a metaphysical critique........

OreoCookie
Jun 26, 2003, 11:33 AM

Cheap. Get it in pairs and don't mix the company within a pair. For average type of stuff, Infineon is the best -- high quality, moderate price. PC overclockers tend to like companies like Corsair, but I wouldn't recommend them -- the price-performance ratio isn't that well ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 26, 2003, 11:43 AM

Crucial.com RAM (not the cheapest, but good quality):

128 MB: $26
256 MB: $48
512 MB: $90

Pricewatch cheap RAM:

256 MB: $34
512 MB: $68
1024 MB: $174
2048 MB: $1099

The best bang for the buck would be the 512 MB sticks. Get the 1.8 GHz G5 with 2x256 and add 2x512 of your own, for a total of 1.5 GB. Should be fine for 95% of the population.

BTW, I wonder if the G5 Power Macs work with the 2 GB sticks, for a total of 16 GB.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 01:25 PM

Do the new G5s use the EEC or the non-parity sticks?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 03:44 PM

G5s use non-ECC memory.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules