Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do I really need the G5 or is the G4 sufficient?

Do I really need the G5 or is the G4 sufficient?
allformac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2003, 08:45 PM

I have been considering purchasing a 17" powerbook from Apple for a while now, but the recent announcements about the G5 have kinda put me in a tough decision.

While I love the powerbooks, I can't help but lust for the power the G5 brings.

Ok so what I'm basically asking is if -- for my needs -- the G5 would be worth it, or would I be well off with a G4.

The Apps I mostly use are...

o Dreamweaver and Fireworks MX

o Adobe Acrobat

o MS Office

Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks

idyll
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 08:53 PM

Unless a purchase is necessary,I'd wait until the PowerBooks are upgraded.

Dreamweaver doesn't require all that much power, but Fireworks does. Not only that, but the G5 will make everything a bit more "snappier."

You'll be well off with a G4, but even better off with G5. Take that as you wish.

PBAddict
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2003, 02:49 AM

It really depends on how long you can wait Apple have said thet the G5 will not be coming to the Powerbook anytime soon, this could be 6 months or it could be 18 months. It took apple about 2 years to get the G4 into the Powerbook after it was launched in the Desktop systems, this was due to heat problems, and by the look of the G5 Powermac the heat issues for the G5 will be considerable when conidering it for a portable.

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2003, 03:15 AM

Yeah, the upgrade the the G5 in the Powerbook could take awhile. There may be a fairly decent upgrade in the G4 for the Powerbooks in the coming months, however.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

Forum Links
Forum Rules