Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft using Linux to protect its own website!

Microsoft using Linux to protect its own website!
TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 11:28 AM

"Microsoft has made a big deal out of asserting that Linux is not fit for the enterprise. But Microsoft itself is using Linux to help protect its servers against denial-of-service attacks."

Here is the rest of the story.

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2003, 11:40 AM

In the long run, I think that Microsoft is going to have a credible threat to its monopoly in terms of real competition. It's going to be a long struggle before this occurs.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2003, 11:46 AM

I think M$ has been blind-sided by Linux.

What highly paid engineer would want to spend their free time working on an open source operating system in which they can only gain notoriety...

Linux is also blind-siding them in the embedded market. Why pay for something when you can use something that is almost as good (if not better) for free.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 12:16 PM

Wouldn't it make sense for Apple to release OS X and OS X Server for free and only charge for hardware? That way there would be an even bigger incentive for people to go Mac.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by bstone:
Wouldn't it make sense for Apple to release OS X and OS X Server for free and only charge for hardware? That way there would be an even bigger incentive for people to go Mac.
I don't think they would be profitable if they did so. They sold well over 100,000 copies of Jaguar.

Apple can't just give away 12 million bucks... That's 1/100 of Steve's income or 150+ computer engineers...

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by businezguy:
In the long run, I think that Microsoft is going to have a credible threat to its monopoly in terms of real competition. It's going to be a long struggle before this occurs.
Agreed. It is lonely at the top and everybody wants to get to you. that and the way in which Microsoft has treated some of their customers.

bstone: I don't know if giving away OS X and OS X servers is the answer for Apple. There's no doubt, however, that Apple could stand to benefit from improved stake in the SBM (Small Business Market) as well as consumer market. Maybe Apple will see this as an opportunity to move in.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Agreed. It is lonely at the top and everybody wants to get to you. that and the way in which Microsoft has treated some of their customers.

bstone: I don't know if giving away OS X and OS X servers is the answer for Apple. There's no doubt, however, that Apple could stand to benefit from improved stake in the SBM (Small Business Market) as well as consumer market. Maybe Apple will see this as an opportunity to move in.
I think Apple is already moving in. They were offering classes at the Apple Stores for small businesses. I should have gone...

I still think the first thing that comes to mind when people hear "Apple" or "Macintosh" is Education and Graphic Design (and now perhaps iPod).

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
...I still think the first thing that comes to mind when people hear "Apple" or "Macintosh" is Education and Graphic Design (and now perhaps iPod).
It is amazing to me how many of my friends do not know about the Mac platform. This one guy thought the 15" PowerBook I showed him was made by Sony, eventhough it had a huge APPLE on the cover! He also had all sort of "myths" he heard about Apple computers.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2003, 05:17 PM

http://www.apple.com/myths/

I've had people go out of their way to send me text files because they "know all about the mac"...

Only to find out that I have Office (a newer version then what they were using)

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 06:54 PM

ROTFLMAO
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 07:30 PM

mitchell_pgh: Hehehehe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules