Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best BlueTooth mouse?

Best BlueTooth mouse?
EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 05:27 PM

Want to get a BlueTooth mouse for my 15''.... AssassyN recommend the Logitech MX900, and I came across another nice one from Microsoft. Anyone recommend any others?

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 06:10 PM

Apple has a one-button of course, and Logitech makes a BT presentation controller/laser pointer with some kind of thumb-pointing functionality. And that, I believe, is IT!

For now.

I REALLY want a Kensington (or failing that, Logitech) mouse that is:

* SMALL (portable and I like that feel anyway)

* Multi-button (the more the better--Logitech's big mouse has 8!)

* Bluetooth WITHOUT a base station. Why pay for that when I already have BT internal? Why have to lug that around on trips just for charging? Maybe plain old batteries (which can be rechargeable anyway) are best for mobile users.

(I've heard that MS's BT mouse isn't quite BT-standard and must use its own base station for reliable results. Can anyone confirm/deny that?)
nagromme

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2003, 06:24 PM

The M$ BT is supposedly Apple friendly for machines running OS X 10.2.6 and above.

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 06:36 PM

whats wrong with the apple mouse?
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

HouseSold
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 06:38 PM

I have the Microsoft Bluetooth and it works well except for an annoying delay when first starting it (like needing coffee in the am). I have decided to use the Apple Bluetooth which I picked up yesterday at the Apple Store along with the Bluetooth keyboard.

My thoughts:

I use the Microsoft Bluetooth USB dongle (receiver) for my Sony Cli� TG50 to talk to my Powerbook 17" 1.33mhz. Now that the USB ports are on both sides it's quite convenient.

I like the new Microsoft (just released) wireless mice(non-Bluetooth) (part #'s start with M03-0000xx) about$54. 4 colors and black leather. Still not as comfortable as Apple's Bluetooth mouse. I loved the 5 buttons and the OSX compatibility. Just two bulky after using Apple's mouse.

Logitech is off the scale in price and seems mediocre to me after using one. Nice scroll wheel however.

The favorite was the Targus notebook wireless (900 mhz I believe). Comfortable and affordable. $29 at Fry's, who has a good selection. The Targus has a neat flexible receiver that pivots (bends) up 90 degrees perfectly for the Powerbook. It isn't advertised as Mac compatible, although it works jumpedly (unacceptable). If they only offered drivers. It works superbly on an office PC. 2 buttons and scroll wheel.

I picked up an Interlink remote (wireless-not Bluetooth) that doesn't claim Mac compatibility, but works excellently for Powerpoint Presentations on the Powerbook. $49 at Fry's.

I'll stay with the Apple Bluetooth mouse until someone else (maybe even Apple) comes out with 2 or more buttons and scroll wheel. I know the wheels are turning at Microsoft, whose latest mice are actually much improved yet too bulky for my tastes.

Notice how mice are becoming sort of like women's shoes. Different tastes for different occasions.

my 10 cents...

MacsGalor
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by pantalaimon:
whats wrong with the apple mouse?
You will find that most people want more than one button and that is why they won't get a Apple BT

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 07:44 PM

I second the Apple Bluetooth mouse. I got and it love it. Although I had been using a Kensington Pocket Mouse with a scroll wheel (and miss the scroll wheel now), the Apple one fits me perfectly, and is finally a wireless mouse designed for a traveler. It has an off switch! I couldn't believe on the Microsoft mouse (and others I believe) that if you put it in bag, it's constantly going off. You have to remove the batteries on those to get them to stop. The Apple BT mouse and a PowerBook are just made for each other.

ZackVLion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 08:32 PM

theres a new belkin bluetooth mouse coming out on oct 1st supposedly....

here is the link

says it specifically has mac support, too

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2003, 10:15 PM

That Belkin looks great, I just wish I could get it without the USB BT receiver.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 10:27 PM

I want a BT mouse without a base station, and also not the dumb single button Apple BT mouse.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 11:07 PM

Logitech has announced the MX900. Similar to the MX500 and 700 but with bluetooth.

Apparently the mouse might be able to function alone without the base station with any other bluetooth card as well. Not too sure about that yet.
Aloha

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 12:49 AM

I have been using the MS mouse for 4 months now and it works great. I have had no problems with it.
One thing to think about is I have not found any software b MS to enable the extra buttons on it (but both the two big buttons work fine, jus tnot the extra little ones)

Force

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 01:02 AM

The Belkin is at least a bit cheaper than Logitech--but I still don't want a base station. (And it's another bulky lopsided mouse--not a trend I like. My corded MS mouse is like that.)

I'll wait for something without a base station. Not because I'll really need the unit (although in Logitech's case I would--for charging) but because I don't want to PAY for it! I'll already have BT when I have a PB.

Take another $20 off and sell it with no base station. There are a LOT of PowerBook users awaiting such products!
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules