Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > better audio

better audio
SeVeN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 12:47 AM

if i wanted to run a pc into my mac and use my mac as a monitor for things like chosing music cause i want to have a 7.1 system and unless there are some speakers for mac that are 7.1 i need a pc so could i run the pc into my mac?

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 02:01 AM

I actually wouldn't mind using my PowerBook as a monitor for some rarely-used old computers I have... but I know of no way to do it. Maybe there is some kind of VGA to Firewire bridge, and the other system could be viewed (at reduced quality, but better than S-Video?) as if it were a camcorder. But I don't think such a product exists! I wish it did.

However, M-Audio (midiman.net) seems to get good reviews for its Mac surround-sound products. The Sonica Theater is a compact USB unit with 7.1 sound... in silver to match your 'Book:

http://www.midiman.net/products/cons...atre_page1.php

And I believe OS X 10.3 Panther enhances surround-sound support, including for DVD movies.

You'd have to ask others how all that might work for your needs--I don't have Sonica myself.
nagromme

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by SeVeN:
if i wanted to run a pc into my mac and use my mac as a monitor for things like chosing music cause i want to have a 7.1 system and unless there are some speakers for mac that are 7.1 i need a pc so could i run the pc into my mac?
If you want 7.1, buy a AV/Receiver that supports 7.1 speaker output. Sound cards or other little devices with 7.1 analog speaker outputs are dodgy. You need a real receiver/amp to do this properly.

Then all you need to do is buy an "M-Audio Sonica USB", which gives you an optical connection for your Powerbook. Connect that to the receiver. This also means you can run your PC through it, or whatever else you like as well.

To take full advantage of this for DVDs, you will need 10.3 Panther for 5.1 channel or higher support.

Search the forums for 'sonica', I have talked about this a couple of times.

SeVeN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 02:19 AM

what is an AV/Receiver? and what one would you suggest

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by SeVeN:
what is an AV/Receiver? and what one would you suggest
A receiver is basically what you'd use for a DVD/home cinema setup. It accepts audio/video from all the devices and is the amp for the speakers. As you're only doing audio, you wouldn't have to get one too fancy.

Check out brands like Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules